Remembered Today:

keithfazzani

Help with writing - What is this job

keithfazzani

The attached is from Ancestry - any idea what the job might be

image.png.40ff15a0139f794bcab4d45146cbd1dd.png

Frajohn

Good evening Keith

I would read it as 'Weigher'. Have you looked on the 1911 census?

Kind regards

John

keithfazzani

Thanks John. I shall certainly take a look at the census. Weigher makes sense in context.

All the best

keith

keithfazzani

He was a Clerk in 1911. But that covers a multiplicity. As the area I am investigating involves the transport and shipping of coal, weigher makes sense. 

keithfazzani

Great. Checked that site and it makes a weigher someone who is a weigh clerk at a dock. Fits perfectly. Thanks everyone. 

BillyH

I got on to this a few years ago when several soldiers I was researching gave their occupation as 'Fireman' and i started to smell the proverbial rat. It was then that I discovered that they were basically Stokers, working on the coal fired boilers in a factory power plant.

There is also another good site here:

http://www.worldthroughthelens.com/family-history/old-occupations.php

BillyH.

depaor01
4 minutes ago, BillyH said:

...gave their occupation as 'Fireman' and i started to smell the proverbial rat. It was then that I discovered that they were basically Stokers, working on the coal fired boilers in a factory power plant.

I had a similar double take when researching a Mercantile Marine medal in my collection.  The occupation exists on ships also as I was told here.

Dave

keithfazzani

I would have at first assumed that the man actually weighed the coal, which is the commodity involved. However tying together the fact that he was a clerk and the definition of the job it would appear that his role was clerical.  This forum is truly wonderful. 

BillyH
13 hours ago, depaor01 said:

I had a similar double take when researching a Mercantile Marine medal in my collection.  The occupation exists on ships also as I was told here.

I think the term Trimmers is also basically the same as Stokers or Fireman?

BillyH.

depaor01
9 hours ago, BillyH said:

I think the term Trimmers is also basically the same as Stokers or Fireman?

BillyH.

There are subtle differences between those that I've forgotten. An Old Salt may be along shortly to clarify  :thumbsup:

Dave

BillyH
1 hour ago, depaor01 said:

There are subtle differences between those that I've forgotten. An Old Salt may be along shortly to clarify  :thumbsup:

Agreed, and the link in post #5 says :

Trimmer:   . . . . . . . . . .   additionally, may refer to a man armed with a shovel who moved coal around inside ships in order to balance the load.

BillyH.

Lawryleslie
On 03/11/2019 at 09:37, BillyH said:

Agreed, and the link in post #5 says :

Trimmer:   . . . . . . . . . .   additionally, may refer to a man armed with a shovel who moved coal around inside ships in order to balance the load.

BillyH.

Precisely. Fore-runners to the modern day "Tanky" who is a Stoker locally trained on board ship to maintain stability and uprightness of a ship by transferring fuel and ballast water.