Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

39th Seige Battery / 30th Brigade (Canadian) RGA

LOOKING FOR HELP : 39th RGA battery own war diary stops e/Sept 1917 , then under command of 30 Heavy Artillery Group ,    (Brigade RGA)  , on 24th APRIL 1918 the battery moved to H.21.c.95.25 , near Dickebusch , then on 26th APRIL 1918  withdrawn to Busseboom under orders to move to Lederzeele , My GF (Henry Lucas # 44330 RGA) died of wounds on 9th MAY 1918 in 3rd Australian Casualty Clearing Station near Esquelbecq , Anyone know more about the actions ongoing around or just after these dates?..  

Edited by Guest

In the period 26 April to 8 May, 30 Brigade worked with in turn with 38 Division, the neighbouring French force and then 9th Division, all this in support of those formations' operations towards Kemmel and Locre.  On 6 May, 30 Brigade (39 Siege had remained with this brigade throughout), was placed in support of 33rd Division's artillery.  39 Siege was still in the position it moved into on 26 April firing counter battery and harassing fire and on 7th registering a hostile battery with aeroplane observation.  Firing on 8 May was in support of a proposed attack by 33 Division early in the day, a defence of an enemy breakthough and a later counter attack.  All battery positions were reported heavily shelled with HE and gas throughout this period.  On 8 May, the war diary records simply " casualties 39 SB - 1 OR killed, 4 ORs wounded...…….".  

The 33 Division HQ diary describes the 8 May action in some detail, the 30 Brigade diary briefly noting what was going on.

Max

PS  30 Brigade did support the Canadians but only for a short period in Apr/May 1916.(see also next post)

PPS Welcome!

Edited by MaxD
addition to PS

You may have seen post #2 above.  For clarity I should have noted that when 30 Brigade RGA were attached to the Canadian Corps in April/May 1916, 39 Siege Battery was not with them, the battery joined 30 Bde in September 1917 as you have seen.

Max

• 9 months later...

Following the trail of a Gt Uncle,Gunner Harry Wilkinson  RGA 241 SB. The Brigade and Battery diaries that I have found take me to April 1918 but can't find any after.Assistance very much appreciated.

Hi CQMS Vernon,

From the National Archives I think that you'd need to try to follow them through this one - link.

image.png.cf20df2d58e56d5e9783a3793faf8e2b.png

Image sourced from the National Archives

Regards

Chris