Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Representations of German defences during the later phases of Passchendaele

David_Blanchard

I am after diagrams/representations of the German defences during later phases of 3 Ypres- which demonstrate the use of pillboxes and interlocking fields of fire- the type of reconstructions found in Opsrey books- indeed there may be a Opsrey book that demonstrates this type of defensive system.

Any help appreciated.

I recommend reading my book "Defending the Ypres Front 1914-1918. Trenches, Shelters & Bunkers of the German Army" in which you will find the evolution of the bunkers and the bunker lines etc.

• 2 months later...

Good day,

While researching your book “Defending the Ypres Front 1914-1918” did you encounter any information on the “Turmhof” also know as Graf House? I’m looking for any physical description of this fortified position. It was (is?) found south of ‘s Graventafelstraat on the northern bank of the Ravebeek midway between Bornstraat and Vierde Regiment Karabiniersstraat.

Disclaimer: I haven’t read your book yet but it is sitting in my Amazon shopping cart awaiting checkout.

Thanks,

M.

On 01/11/2019 at 11:53, AOK4 said:

I recommend reading my book "Defending the Ypres Front 1914-1918. Trenches, Shelters & Bunkers of the German Army"

I second this - excellent book.

2 hours ago, Codex canadensis said:

Good day,

While researching your book “Defending the Ypres Front 1914-1918” did you encounter any information on the “Turmhof” also know as Graf House? I’m looking for any physical description of this fortified position. It was (is?) found south of ‘s Graventafelstraat on the northern bank of the Ravebeek midway between Bornstraat and Vierde Regiment Karabiniersstraat.

Disclaimer: I haven’t read your book yet but it is sitting in my Amazon shopping cart awaiting checkout.

Thanks,

M.

There is a map of the Flandern-Stellungen in the summer of 1917 which shows some structures near Graf, but nothing detailed. Even though there were some constructions (long gone) near the farm (I remember visiting the farm for a project of the MMP 1917 some years ago), it was not designed as such as a resistance point by the Germans (they just used whatever was at hand during Third Ypres).

The book is not meant to be a detailed description of all bunkers (as there were way too many anyway), but more an overview of how things evolved and how the constructions were built and why.

Jan

Hi Brigadier - General

Slightly off topic on this thread, however, I wondering if you could help me out. Have you ever come across any reference to bunkers, strongholds, pill-boxes and such located at Bossaert and Setques Farms, East of Wieltje? This area was heavily fought over at 3rd Ypres between the 31st July and 2nd August 1917, including the 1/10 Liverpool Kings (Liverpool Scottish). I will eventually obtain a copy of your book, just interested to know if you came across any mention of fortifications at these two farms, they are situated north of the Wieltje - Gravenstafel Road, East of Wieltje. I'm also looking for any information on these farms, including any aerial photographs of the area around the time of 3rd Ypres between 31st July and 2nd August 1917.  Many thanks, regards, Gary.

Edited by GTB
Spelling mistake, apologies.