Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A week on the Western Front

Unixman

Planning a trip next year to do as much of the Western Front as I can in a week.  This must include both British and French battlefields and, if possible, the Americans in the Argonne and would want to get a flavour of the key places.  Ieper, Amiens, Arras, Vimy, Somme, Chemin de Dames, Verdun ....

I suspect that I wouldn't want to go further south than Verdun ( unless there is a compelling reason to) .....

I would like to spend a day in Champagne ( for non battlefield reasons ;)  ) ......

Itinerary please ...

And the Germans mustn't be forgotten either. 

• Admin

Very ambitious to see that much in 6 days. Just my opinion. 
Michelle 

I agree…; you should start by narrowing down the battlefields that you ABSOLUTELY want to see, then map out your itinerary and see what else can be put on the visiting list based on that. I Don't think you'll be able to cram all the places you noted in just 6 days.

but don't skip the champagne tour, that would be a pity …

M.

Edited by Marilyne

Champagne - Main de Massiges

Compelling reason to go south of Verdun - Hartmanzwillerkopf, although I concede, that it is long way and the opportunity cost might preclude a visit.

Two of the most remarkable bits of the Western Front I have visited.

Edited by ServiceRumDiluted

Yes, I must concur about La main de massiges, it's brilliant and all done by volunteers(if I remember correctly). 

Saw it last week.

If the OP has only a week, then  it would take most of one precious day driving to reach HWK and the Vosges battlefields. It's five hours from the Somme, depending on route, and not far off four hours from Verdun.

He would be better spending less time driving on this trip and spending a full holiday in Alsace and the Vosges. I've been going there two or three times a year for thirty years and still not seen everything.

Try to include the Chemin des Dames. It is mainly French but there is some British interest there. Such a visit allows easy access to some of the lesser-known areas of the Champagne appellation lying to the west of Reims and the A26. A trip along the Chemin in the am can easily be combined with an afternoon in the tasting rooms (often doubling as a farmhouse kitchen) of the champagne villages just to the south.