Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Opinions on pension record required

Trav

Attached is a portion of my Grandfathers pension record (one of the 4 I have found for him). This one has far more entries upon it than the others and I just wanted to be sure what's going on here. I know his records shuttled between regions, in this case the North and South of Ireland, but what is the significance of the pencilled dates? Are these just a list of correspondences sent and received between he and the Army? Are the dates all 1925? 1955? Was a soldiers (disability) pension cancelled when he married? Why is 1932 mentioned when he was discharged in 1919?

Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated.

Fold3_Page_1 Pension Record Front 13MS1366.jpg

Edited by Trav
typos

2 hours ago, Trav said:

Attached is a portion of my Grandfathers pension record (one of the 4 I have found for him). This one has far more entries upon it than the others and I just wanted to be sure what's going on here. I know his records shuttled between regions, in this case the North and South of Ireland, but what is the significance of the pencilled dates? Are these just a list of correspondences sent and received between he and the Army? Are the dates all 1925? 1955? Was a soldiers (disability) pension cancelled when he married? Why is 1932 mentioned when he was discharged in 1919?

Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated.

Fold3_Page_1 Pension Record Front 13MS1366.jpg

Hi,

I’m sure members might be able to assist further if you posted his full name and service details as it would enable members to look up the original documents for context etc. 

Steve

Pretty much everything known is here in this thread, including two of the pension records. They are mostly blank and I believe I have all the information that can be drawn from them. My curiosity really lies in the pencilled date 1925? and if the list is simply a record of correspondences sent and received between parties :)

Hi Trav,

I would say that all the entries on the left are 1925 they follow on, April, May June August and September, down the right hand side they look like January, April  and August 1925 , then some additional entries have been made in the middle in 1932. 

The entries are various admin notes for tasks that were undertaken with the claim, not just correspondence. There could be work undertaken and noted on the card for decades after the war ended.

Craig

Thank you both very much for your opinions and input. I know there were two cards created for my Grandfather under his alias and real name, and that these were replicated when his file transferred between regions, in this case the North and South of Ireland. This card was the 'amalgamated' card and the most detailed, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anythng obvious as my experience with these is limited. :thumbsup:

Edited by Trav