Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2LT HAROLD GIBSON HORNSBY, 7th YORKSHIRE-AND MIDDLESBOROUGH FOOTBALL CLUB

Just a warning,  theres another "H Hornsby"  living in Loftus, in the 1911 census.  born  Middlesborough. Loftus is 5 miles from Saltburn.   Gives his occupation as labourer..  No first name though and i can't find him in the 190 or 1889 census. I'm from Sunderland.  Disapointment is character building, BTW..  

Don't know if this helps or hinders Middlesbrough Gazette August 1906.from BNA..shows a H G Horsley in text which seems to become Hornsby in the player list. There is also a Hornsby shown playing for Darlington in another edition  along with several references to Saltburn FC in 1906-1908. His obituary in The Gazette (July 1916) only shows him playing for Saltburn where he was vice-captain

hornsby.PNG

Edited by ilkley remembers

Well done both,  it seems likley that this is the same man.  I never use BNA -  I 'm condemed to use the Library version and the indexing - is eccentric to say the least.  The snapshots in anyresults seem to be presented in an unholy argot somewhere  between Hindi and Swedish. 

Here's what I have on Hornsby 

(from my notes)

HORNSBY HAROLD GIBSON

2nd Lieutenant HAROLD GIBSON HORNSBY

7th Bn Yorkshire Regiment

Harold was killed in action aged 28 as the battalion attacked the village of Fricourt on July 1st 1916 the first day of the Battle of the Somme

(Admitted March 1910 on the staff of solicitor to H.M Customs and Excise Lower Thames Street E.C

Joined Sept 20th 1914 as Private Bristol Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment transferred to 20th Hussars Jan 1915 he served in France from October 1915 (source record of service of solicitors and articled clerks)

Harold was commission into the Yorkshire Regiment as 2nd Lieutenant on the 20th March 1915 (London Gazette 23rd March 1915 page 2854)

He was the son of Michael (a butcher and farmer) and Jane Hornsby

Harold can be found on the 1901 census residing with his parents and siblings at 13 Milton Street Saltburn by the sea a schoolboy aged 13

On the 1911 census he can be found as a boarder at 5 Fladgate Road Leytonstone Essex employed by H.M customs as a solicitor

Harold an old boy of Middlesbrough High School is commemorated on the school memorial plaque which can now be found displayed in Middlesbrough College He is also commemorated on Saltburn war memorial

The register of Probate and Wills reads (Hornsby Harold Gibson of 20 Redbridge Lane Wantage Essex 2nd Lieutenant 7th Yorkshire regiment died 1st July Fricourt in France Probate London 21st August to Jane Hornsby widow Effects £479.1s.10d)

Born Saltburn                                                (N.E.D.G 7th July 1916)

FRICOURT BRITISH CEMETERY

Ray

569994682_7july16hornsby.JPG.ec721722b6d1a243c9a43d50b4bb9fd9.JPG

Edited by RaySearching
adding cutting

Just a few small additions 

At some point in Hornsby's education he attended The University of London,  his name is included in the university's roll of honour

47594_b377777-00000.jpg.07149270ba5e8b8ce8f4a6b5f2aa4589.jpg

Page 1121852353530_hornsbypage112.JPG.3bbc6e8c795fa3f37b0fa37ebca9fb17.JPG 

The original memorial at Fricourt

154434368_hornsbyhg.jpg.a5748c53745d1ecf491de2fa530b116f.jpg

Regards Ray

Ooh-Ray-an early Christmas present-that picture would do a treat-May I use it??

feel free

Just as thought,  he wouldn't have needed a degree to practise as a solicitor.  He could have been admitted to the roll after being an articled clerk and then passing parts 1 and 11 of the Law Society examinations. Possibly these were held under the aegis of the Unversity of London?  

Hi Ray- Pretty much what I have as well!!  I am off to see his officer file again the morrow- which is code that I cannot read a couple of my notes from years back. I have also the local Saltburn newspaper for 1916 ordered up at BL in the hope there will be an obit. there as well.

I am not sure how he was killed on 1st July- he burial report is by a Private.  The tale of a company attacking early and being annihilated is a compelling one and I must try to check if he was in that company. I read the Wylly  regimental history of the Green Howards-which is  most misleading-the account of 1st July in that is most misleading and really just a colonel trying to explain away the cock-up(smoke) and the loss of 300 or so men. 

I had hoped that there was a "Statto" for Middlesborough FC (I expect there is) who might know if he played much for them. I cannot find any trace of him playing down here in London, though it is still likely that he did.

I still have absolutely no idea at all why he enlisted in Gloucester.  But will persevere.

I note that-if he is the right H.Hornsby, then he is not listed by Middlesborough FC as one of their Great War losses-Again, there must be a keen club historian somehwere-and,hope against hope, some sort of pic. somewhere

I will post further info. the other side of the weekend.

:wub:

Some football clubs, including mine, Hearts, include only players who were with the club at the time of their enlistment in their Great War casualty lists. Others include anybody who ever played for them. Perhaps Middlesbrough are in the former category?

On 05/11/2019 at 10:02, Gunner Hall said:

On 05/11/2019 at 10:30, Gibbo said:

My part of this post removed by me. MJT

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this helps or not, not found a photo by the way. If anyone has one would be great.

HORNSBY, Second Lieutenant, Harold Gibson. Attack on Fricourt, Mr.Hornsby, commanding No. 5 platoon, fell mortally wounded before they had advanced ten yards, Fricourt, 1st July 1916. 7th Bn., Yorkshire Regiment. Aged 28. Only son of Jane Hornsby, of 7, Fladgate Rd., Leytonstone, London, and fourth son of Michael Hornsby, of Saltburn-By-The-Sea. Resided 20 Redbridge Lane, Wanstead. Educated at Middlesbrough High School. Served his articles with a solicitor. Mr. H. G Stevenson , town clerk of Darlington. Admitted a solicitor in 1910 and granted a commission (13th March 1915) enlisted soon after the war broke out. Sept. 20, 1914, as Private, Bristol Batt. Gloucestershire Regt., transferred to 20th Hussars Jan. 1915. On the solicitor's staff of His Majesty's customs and excise, Lower Thames Street, E.C.. Gazetted 2nd Lieut. 11th Batt. Yorkshire Regt. Easter 1915. Went to the Front October 1915. Well known in Cleveland as an amateur footballer and cricketeer. Memorial Ref. A. 29., Fricourt British Cemetery, France. WO 339/36975

For the last four years I have been writing a book on officers killed on the 1st July, mini bio and photos from 1001 officers i have 840 photos, but not one of Hornsby. I have the Jesuit Society due back with one more photo and one the Northumberland Fusiliers museum want £50 for a copy off, that would take me to 842. I am out of private schools, grammar schools and museum now so a photo of Hornsby may elude me. The bit about Saltburn was new to me but I took the filter of findmypast from 1910 to 1919 and choose 1900 to 1909 and this indeed had mention that they were going to miss him as he took his exams. No photo though. I need to contact Saltburn archives

From the NA covered 279 officer files but only one photo and I already had that one, Hornsby was one of the files I had read 

The exact reference for No 5 platoon could not say at the minute as I have amassed hundred of WW1 Rolls some original some more recent, they are piled up in my hallway.

If you want to know about my project just send me a message. 

I came across your article on my Final Check before I conclude.

On 27/12/2019 at 13:45, tharkin56 said:

On 27/12/2019 at 17:36, RaySearching said:

My part of the post removed by me. MJT

Edited by Guest

I moved Ide to the 1st July as per his originally GRU. I checked all the GRU for officers died in June and July to make sure I wasn't missing anyone. Ide was one I have included. I have a photo. IDE, Second Lieutenant, Thomas Norman. He fell in the trenches among his own men, offically stated 2nd July  1916. 1920 Grave Registration unit stated 1st July 1916. 2nd Bn., Essex Regiment. Aged 23. Eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas John Ide (glass merchant), and Jane Alexandra Ide of "Henley", 175, Golders Green Rd., Golders Green, London. Born at 3 Glendall Villas, Wanstead on the 4th of January 1893. Educated at Wanstead College, Woodford House School, Birchington-on-Sea and at St. Paul’s School from September 1908 to December 1910 where he was a member of the 3rd XI Cricket team. Thomas worked as a clerk for Kaye, Son Company Ltd, Lloyd’s brokers. Following the outbreak of war, he enlisted at Westminster on the 15th of September 1914 as Private 5104 in the 20th (Service) Battalion Royal Fusiliers. Declared fit for active service at a Medical Board on the 23rd of February 1915. He was discharged from the Royal Fusiliers on the 24th of February 1915 when he entered the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, and was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Essex Regiment on the 11th of August 1915.  Embarked for France on the 29th of May 1916, where he joined the 2nd Battalion of his regiment. Left their assembly trenches at 8.36am and immediately encountered heavy artillery and machine gun fire. End of June 1916 listed in reinforcements. Memorial Ref. I. H. 6., Sucrerie Military Cemetery, Colincamps, France.

Appreciate these are short bio's only as currently on 600 pages

PEARCE, Captain, Charles Stanley. When the barrage lifted to the second Hun trench, a very heavy rifle and machine-gun fire started from our front and left, the latter coming apparently from the craters and the high ground immediately behind them. The distance which Pearce and C Company had to cross to the enemy front line was only 120 yards.  Nevill was killed just before the German wire and Pearce died in No Man’s Land, 1st July 1916. Hand to hand fighting went on for a long time in the german trenches and news that Captain Faltau and Pearce were killed. 8th Bn., East Surrey Regiment. Aged 22. Born 14th April 1894 in Snaresbrook. Only son Of James Stanley Pearce (Chemical Manufacturer) and Florence Maryan Pearce, of "Priest's Mere," Tadworth, Surrey. Attended Winchester from Rottingdean School. At Winchester, he was Head of his House, a Commoner Prefect (three years in Sixth Book) and a member of School Committee; he played in O.T.H. XV (standing on Dress for VI) and in both 2nd XIs. He went to Christ Church, Oxford in 1913 with the intention of reading for the Civil Service. On the outbreak of war he joined the Winchester O.T.C. on Salisbury Plain and received a commission a month later in the 8th Battalion East Surrey Regiment, proceeding to the front in July 1915. Probate was granted to Charles’ father of "Priest's Mere," Tadworth, Surrey. He left £397-10-8. Effects were two pairs of glasses, pipes, compass, combined knife, fork & spoon, scissors, tobacoo pouch, gold case for cigarette holder, advance book and knife. Memorial Ref. E. 30., Carnoy Military Cemetery, France. WO 339/1322

MAY, Captain, Charles Campbell, Mentioned in Despatches. Mortally wounded he gallantly continued to give orders and encourage his men, to the last, 1st July 1916. "B" Coy previously A Coy., 22nd Bn., Manchester Regiment. Aged 27. Only son of Major and Mrs. C. E. May, of New Zealand and London; husband of Bessie Maude Earles (formerly May), of 1, Rue Hwys Mans, Paris lived with his wife and child at 2 Grove Mansions, Wanstead. After his death the soldier who carried his body off the battlefield discovered that Captain May had taken a slender notebook into battle. Born in New Zealand to an English family – had been a poet and journalist. Landed in France in November 1915. His last Letter home written on the morning of the 1st July; ‘ It is a glorious morning and is now broad daylight. We go over in two hours time. It seems a long time to wait and I think whatever happens, we shall all feel relieved once the line is launched. No mans land is a tangled desert. Unless one can see it one cannot imagine what a terrible state of disorder it is in.’ Memorial Ref. II. B. 3., Dantzig Alley British Cemetery, Mametz, France. WO 339/17649

The account of Hillman's death gave the platoon for Hornsby

HILLMAN, Lieutenant, Harold Alexander Moore. The 7th Yorks were detailed to attack Fricourt, seize the village, and the wood beyond. The German front line ran almost parallel to our own at a distance alternating from 200 to 300 yards. The order of advance was three companies in the front line, with B Company in the centre Nos. 4 and 5 platoons of B Company were to push forward with No 6 in close support. No 7 platoon, commanded by Mr.Clarke, were in local reserve to the Company and were not to advance until the German front line was taken. The first two platoons were no sooner over than they were met by a withering fire from the enemy machine guns at close range. Mr. Hornsby, commanding No. 5 platoon, fell mortally wounded before they had advanced ten yards. No. 6 were now ready to advance and leave No. 7 in the trench. Mr. Hillman, command No. 6, climbed the parapet and ordered his platoon forward. He was shot immediately through the head. 1st July 1916

HI I went down various rabbit holes for hours at an end and basically had to stop as the objective was can I get a photo of all the officers. My learning was  that a number of young officers joined in the month before and also alot of promotions made, some officers joined  the night before so how you went meant to instruct men you had never met and did not know the names not sure. A number of officers were originally buried in Empress Trench sheet contour 110 for example. I have had to point out some odd things in my draft preface.

Also relatives applied to the War Office and we most upset when their sons revolvers were not returned, one did come home and ended up in a charity shop donation. The War Office were quite blunt in some replies. Also officer's effects were stolen ans some expected return of a writing bureau.

( I am finding new things every day, no new photos but new info)

A download into Microsoft Excel from the Commonwealth War Graves for date of death, 1st July 1916 is relatively easy to do, however application of additional filter for cemeteries and memorial in the vicinity of the Somme  would have ruled out the following two officers Major James Leadbeater Knott, D.S.O buried in Belgium and  Lieutenant Colonel Denis Daly Wilson, D.S.O commemorated Neuve-Chapelle Memorial, France. Major Knott D.S.O was killed in action leading his men forward, and originally buried in Row B. Grave 14. Fricourt New Military Cemetery however his brother  Captain H.B. Knott  was also killed and was buried near where he fell. Both brothers are  buried next to each other and both headstones read ‘Devoted In Life In Death Not Divided’. Lieutenant Colonel Wilson D.S.O was attached to the 1/5th Sherwood Foresters  from the 17th Indian Cavalry and is commemorated at Neuve-Chapelle. An additional inclusion to the download is Second Lieutenant Sydney Raymond Allen, 16th Bn., Manchester Regiment reported killed at Montauban, on the 1st of July, 1916, reports suggest that he was killed instantaneously when leading a bombing party towards the German lines. Officially his date of death is the 12th July 1916 with Commonwealth War Grave Commission however conflicting records state 1st July 1916.