Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

photos at enlisting

historian9

Hello all

Having now visited the Loos battleground and Dud Corner cemetery, I now have a better understanding of the circumstances of my great uncle's death in September 1915. I'd like to find a photo of him and wondered if it was standard practice for photos to be taken at enlistment, or on joining a particular regiment. If so, how would I track down a copy.... would the Scots Guards archive hold such photos ?

Private Robert Shirkie enlisted in Glasgow on 3rd September 1914, and subsequently joined the Scots Guards.

Many thanks for any advice

18 minutes ago, historian9 said:

Hello all

Having now visited the Loos battleground and Dud Corner cemetery, I now have a better understanding of the circumstances of my great uncle's death in September 1915. I'd like to find a photo of him and wondered if it was standard practice for photos to be taken at enlistment, or on joining a particular regiment. If so, how would I track down a copy.... would the Scots Guards archive hold such photos ?

Private Robert Shirkie enlisted in Glasgow on 3rd September 1914, and subsequently joined the Scots Guards.

Many thanks for any advice

Hi,

The Army did not have a policy to take and retain the individual photograph of a soldier on enlistment (for the purpose of retaining it with the service file)

Recruit Squad (Group) Photographs were usually taken towards the end of the initial training period.

I’m not aware that any of the Guards Regiments retained a collection of Squad Photographs. Those that have come into the public domain in recent years have usually originated from a family source but by all means contact RHQ SG for a definitive answer.

Good Luck

Steve

Historian

Your best chance of a photograph will be a report of his death in the local papers for where he lived. The Register of Soldier's Effects records that he was in 1st Bn Scots Guards and his death was presumed on or after 27/09/1915. It mentions his mother as NOK.

The Unit War Diary records that in the action around Hill 70 other rank casualties were 27 killed, 324 wounded and 93 missing. There are good reports in the War Diaries of 2nd Guards Brigade and also the HQ General Staff Guards Division.

Brian