Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trenches/Posts occupied by the 11th (service battalion) Rifle Brigade

algy

Could anyone point me at trench maps with the following areas around Laventie /aubers in Sept/Oct. 1915 on them please.

Picantin Post.  Dead End Post.  Hgouomont Post. Laventie East Post.  Fort Esquin.  FORTS FAUQUISSART FELLON and FIRE WORKS.                

Edited by algy

Thank's Max, that has really helped as I have an ongoing project tracing the movement of my great uncle Tom by identifying where he was with  the whereabouts of his regiment from the regimental diary and desperately attempting to finish it for my son, daughter and grand children before the inevitable.

Cheers! Alan.

Edited by algy

1 hour ago, MaxD said:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=50.6250&lon=2.7825&layers=101464705&b=1 is from later but  most of those locations can be found. 

Max

There are some lovely maps there but care is required over the date. Just in time for the Battle of Loos in Sept 1915 there was a re-survey of the British Front in that area. Older maps were redrawn from the (quite horrid) 19th Century French 1:80,000 series and hence had very large errors. One result of these errors was the grid was misaligned, sometimes as much as 150 yards. If a reported position was made using an old map then it is almost certain not to be on that map reference on a newer map. It does make life a great deal harder!

The trick is to match as far as possible the date of the report and the date of the map.

HowardMapgriderror.jpg.6ad31a87889bcd59b8991505bf15558b.jpg