Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chavasse Memorial Pendant

Good morning. I have found this pendant amongst the belongings of my grandparents/great grandparents. It has the words Chavasse Memorial on the front and a hallmark which is sadly illegible on the back.

Can anyone tell me more about it please - how they might have obtained it and when? 

Thank you.

Chavasse Memorial pendant.jpg

• 1 month later...

This may be related to Captain Noel Chavasse VC & Bar, MC, who died of wounds in 1917.  

His was the only award of a VC & bar for WW1 & as such woud have been well publicised at the time. He is shown on at least 16 war memorials, and this may have been a fund raising item for one of them.  

Alternatively, his father was the anglican Bishop of Liverpool 1900-23, when the Anglican Cathedral was being built, so fund raising for that or some other charity ? There is a park & a hospital ward in Liverpool named after him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Godfrey_Chavasse

I suspect that this was a badge awarded to those who subscribed to the Chavasse Memorial, now residing at Liverpool College?

My old college  St Peter's in Oxford was founded by his father - used to pass Noel's portrait and medal collection en route to the dining hall.

Sadly medals sold for building - much to my disgust