Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Modern day life on the Somme

Michael Thomson

Hi everyone. 

This isn't directly WW1-related, but I gather that at least a few members on here live in the area surrounding the Somme battlefields. 

Having visited the area a few times, three things were starkly noticeable:

1) No buildings seem to exist that are older than 100 years and they are mostly made of brick. This is self explanatory as the Great War destroyed most structures, but to an outsider this is very noticeable.

2)  There are so many cemeteries. Once again, self explanatory.

3) Almost all the small villages have a deserted or barely inhabited feel to them. There are very few people around and not many shops, restaurants etc except in towns like Albert.

The last point is my question...

Do most people who live in the small villages commute to a larger town or city each day? Are they mostly agricultural workers and so are out in the fields or on farms? I'm trying to figure out why one barely sees any sign of people in the villages yet the houses are all seemingly lived-in? 

It is a random question but something that I've often wondered about.

I have also noticed that there is no-one about in most of the villages. I was in Flesquieres a week or so ago in the afternoon waiting for so-one for about half an hour and only saw a few cars whizzing by, no pedestrians.

Guest Ricard 51

Bonjour Michael...... yes, a lot of people commute to the bigger towns and cities and also as the region is heavily cultivated then there are  obviously many agriculteurs and field workers on the land.

The populations of these villages are smaller than they were before WW1, and the rebuilt villages are smaller too. There are of course far fewer people employed on the farms.

Hi,

It's not specific to the Somme or any other "battlefield area", this is just how people live in the country in farming regions in France. It might be difficult to understand for a "foreigner" but most of the locals don't bother much about living in a region deeply impacted by the WW1, in a country where there were so many battles, invasions, wars and destructions. It doesn't mean that they don't care but people have to move forward and life goes on...

Sly

Some years ago I did a circular walk.....Frise,  Feuilleres, Hem ,Curlu, Suzanne, Eclusier-Vaux......hardly saw a soul , beautiful countryside, but still walking through the pages of history, it’s a lovely area and although I first visited because of my Great War interest, I would return tomorrow just for the ambience.

Sadly stayed at Avrils some time ago and she confirmed the area is depopulating. In her time commune populations have gone down bakeries closed etc. The land is worked by massive tractors requiring few men.

I lived in rural Britanny for 6 months, back ten years ago now, and the standing joke for the whole 6 months was, there's no one around !! Arrived in Llandavenec on the Saturday, the only local bar, Patrick's bar closed that night for the next six months, tragic !!

• 2 weeks later...

Hardly ever see anyone walking about in Longueval when staying there , but always try to go Calypso bar every night , to keep the local economy going (honestly 😂) . It amazes me how Jackie keeps going each year . Beer is reasonably priced and he does a great meal if booked in advance . Please pop in and buy a pint when you are there , because if he goes there will be one less place to go to when he is gone . This applies to all the drinking and eating places on the Somme , as there are far to few of them .

3 hours ago, Harveyfletch said:

Hardly ever see anyone walking about in Longueval when staying there , but always try to go Calypso bar every night , to keep the local economy going (honestly 😂) . It amazes me how Jackie keeps going each year . Beer is reasonably priced and he does a great meal if booked in advance . Please pop in and buy a pint when you are there , because if he goes there will be one less place to go to when he is gone . This applies to all the drinking and eating places on the Somme , as there are far to few of them .

HI what sort of food is served? I was told you could only get potatoes!

Tony

Sorry for the late reply Tony . Funnily enough there was a lot of boiled potatoes 😂 . We had a salad with cold meats and hot liver , then a really nice beef stew with the afore mentioned potatoes ,followed by cheese and bread , a bottle of red wine and a round of drinks and change out of hundred  euros for five of us .Couldn't fault it.