Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spanish STAR Model 1914

ShtLE303

This uncommon little gem popped up at the local gun show today. It's a STAR Model 1914. Styled after the Austrian Mannlicher 1905, a large number of these went to France during the Great War. I've seen maybe two of these in the last 10 years. 

1027191557.jpg

1027191557a.jpg

1027191557b.jpg

1027191558.jpg

1027191601.jpg

Not sure if I've seen that design before - it's an interesting early open-slide design, reasonably straightforward in a blowback calibre like 7,65. There's a division line in front of the trigger that runs across receiver and - apparently - chamber. Suggests an interesting takedown procedure?

Just looked at the Mannlicher '05 - I see the chamber looks to fit inside the slide rear portion. The Star looks like quite a severely - and effectively - value-engineered version of the Mannlicher design.

Edited by MikB

Yep, press that lever you see, slide that section forward and out, then you can remove the slide by pulling back and up.

These were apparently highly favored over the 'Ruby' pistols, however a lot less made than those, plus the STAR was more costly.

Forgotten Weapons had a shooting video with one of these literally just the other day.

Looks really neat, I was just thinking I would be keeping an eye out for one myself.

Edited by N White

I ran across this video the very day I got it..I'm looking forward to seeing how this one shoots.

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching an old (prob. c.1960) Edgar Wallace mystery on the Talking Pictures telly channel last night, and saw Alfred Burke (remember 'Public Eye'?), this time playing a real nasty, get shot with what I think was one o' these. Looked like a miniature P.38 at first. :o 

Edited by MikB

And it got used again in last night's Edgar Wallace "The Clue Of The Silver Key"!

This time it shot Patrick Cargill as a crooked servant, in a struggle with detectives, after he'd used it to shoot Sam Kydd.

It's got brilliant stopping power for a .32" ACP - all of them went straight down and never moved ... ;)