Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CEF Histories

CROONAERT

Sorry to mislead. I don't have one!

Does anyone have a history that covers the Canadian Pioneers? If so, I'm looking specifically for any information about the 1st Bn.Can.Pioneers on the week running up to 23 June 1916.

Thanks,

Dave.

Dave, you had me excited for a moment !! :P

1st Battalion would have been with First Division. If you can track down where Division was, Pioneers would have been working with them.

I have ordered 3rd Battalion War Diary from National Archives Canada, but not received it yet. I guess if you were desparate, you could do the same for 1st.

Peter in sunny Vancouver B)

Guest Gavin Wiens

Dave,

The 1st Canadian Division was involved in the engagements around Mount Sorrel from 2 - 13 June 1916. The Canadian troops were engaged around Mount Sorrel and Sanctuary Wood, which were west of Ypres near Hill 60. I don't know if this will help you at all with the 1st Pioneers but I thought I would try.

Gavin Wiens

Hi Dave:

Sorry, I don't have anything specific on the 1st CDN Pioneers Bn. To pickup on Gavin's post, the 1st Div stayed in the Mount Sorrel/Hill 60 area from June 14 until the first week of August. The Infantry Brigades did their normal rotations through the lines.

I checked two battalion histories from the 1st Div and there didn't seem to be anything unusual happening during the week of June 17-23. In fact, the area appears to have been very quiet.

Garth

There is probably something in the Nicholson CEF official history, but as far as I am aware there is no published history of this unit.

Hi Paul:

Nicholson only mentions the 1st Pioneer Bn twice in his history and only about the disbanding of the battalion (pages 384 and 488).

Garth

Thanks guys.

I've got Nicholson and have traced the movements of 1st Div at this time. I suppose I should have been more specific, but I'm looking for something that just covers the 1st pioneers (especially on 23rd June). A War diary perhaps, or does anyone know of any personal accounts from members in this unit about this date?

Thanks again,

Dave :)

Dave, as Paul suggests there are no published war diaries or unit histories of any Canadian pioneers. They barely rate a mention in Mitchinson's classic.

After I get the 3rd Btn war diary from NAC, I may be inspired to write an article for Stand To or The Great War, but until then, I hope another Pal can help you out with the 1st. It should be mentioned that due to lower casualties, a pioneer battalion would not have had as many men go through it as an infantry unit, and thus fewer tales to tell.

Peter in gorgeous Vancouver B)

FYI copies of all CEF war diaries, including the one you want, are also kept at the PRO/NA under WO95 - maybe a Pal will look up the details you want?

Cheers Paul.

Any offers anyone? (please :unsure: )

dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, 1st Btn war diary is broken down by company.

A Coy: Week of 16 to 23rd - Rest at Pioneer Camp at G22.c.2.4

B Coy: Week of 16 to 23rd - Work around Poperinghe and Pioneer Camp

C Coy: Week of 16 to 23rd - Work around Poperinghe and Pioneer Camp, except for 23/23 when 100 men under 2 Lieuts. were sent to Mount Sorrel. Lost 20 men.

D Coy: Week of 16 to 23rd - Left Ypres for Poperinghe, resting, drills, #16 Platoon back to Ypres

I can provide more detail if you need it. (I have the photocopies).

Peter in Vancouver

Thanks Peter.

(I just got your email!) I'd very much appreciate it if you would send me more detail, please, especially that for C Coy.The guy I'm researching was posted as "missing" on the 23rd, and it is believed that he was killed in the Mt.Sorrel area, so it looks likely that he was one of the 20.

Cheers,

Dave. :D

"C Coy, June 16 1916. Company moved into Poperinghe and several days later moved to P (sic) Camp. From then to the 26th we carried on drills and exercises with the exception of June 22/23 when 100 men under Lieut. Emra and accompanied by Lieut. Ferguson were sent up to consolidate an advance trench on Mount Sorrel. This party lost 20 men. 8 Killed and 12 wounded, and both Lieut. Emra and Lieut. Ferguson displayed great bravery and coolness during the work."

It looks like D Coy was involved in some action around Hill 60 prior to the 16th, but other than that, A, B, and D didn't see action (no casualties mentioned) around the the 23rd; so it looks like your man must have been in C Coy.

Peter in rainy/sunny Vancouver.

Thanks very much for that Peter.

Dave. :D