Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Infanterie-Regiment 77 - unit history needed

Jaeger6

I'm desperately looking for the Erinnerungsblätter of the notorious (2. Hannoversches) Infanterie-Regiment 77, also called Heideregiment, responsible for the massacre at Tamines on 22 August 1914.

I know that at least two different unit histories were published.

Viereck, Helmut. Das Heideregiment Königlich Preußisches 2. Hannoversches Infanterie-Regiment Nr 77 im Weltkriege 1914-1918. Celle: A. Pohl, 1934.

This is the official one, vol. 319 of the Erinnerungsblätter. The inofficial history is the following

Becker, ----- Schlachten und Gefechte des 2. Hannoverschen Infanterie-Regiments Nr. 77 im Weltkriege 1914/18. Celle: self-published, 1923.

Unfortunately, it is one of the few Erinnerungsblätter that is not listed with the Württembergische Landesbibliothek in Stuttgart. Can anyone possibly provide me with a .pdf of this unit?

Edited by Jaeger6

I have the regimental history. It is 800 pages incl. Ehrentafel so no way that I will completeley scan it. The "Schlachten und Gefechte" is a very short version of the unit's engagements in the war.

The book can be bought for 70 Euros + shipping as far as I can see. A decent price if you're interested in it, I would say.

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

You can obtain a digital copy from Patrick for 10€. I think it is the 800 page history.

https://military-books.lima-city.de/hp20/077.html

Charlie

Charlie, it looks indeed to be the large version. I had tried to look for it on Patrick's website, but couldn't find it immediately (do you also  have problems with this new menu on the right hand side?).

Jan

1 hour ago, AOK4 said:

Charlie, it looks indeed to be the large version. I had tried to look for it on Patrick's website, but couldn't find it immediately (do you also  have problems with this new menu on the right hand side?).

Jan

Hello Jan,

I had problems with the site as well, it repeatedly asked me to accept the terms and conditions before I could use the search facility. I only had a menu on the left.

Charlie

14 hours ago, AOK4 said:

I have the regimental history. It is 800 pages incl. Ehrentafel so no way that I will completeley scan it.

Hello Jan,

I didn't expect anyone to scan 800 pages, I was of course referring to an already existing file. I guess, the one offered on the website Charlie quoted is the thing I was looking for.

My family comes from the Lüneburger Heide, so there was a great probability that a relative enlisted in the Heideregiment, but nevertheless it is a bit worrisome to really find someone in this regiment that, before Tamines, sent volunteers to the Boxer Rising and the war against the Herero and Nama in Deutsch-Südwest, which led eventually to the first genocide perpetrated by Germans.

My greatgreatuncle Wilhelm Schröder survived the whole war in this unit; the Verlustlisten mention him slightly wounded in 1914 and 1918, so I guess I have to go through all the pages.

Markus

Edited by Jaeger6

1 hour ago, Jaeger6 said:

Hello Jan,

I didn't expect anyone to scan 800 pages, I was of course referring to an already existing file. I guess, the one offered on the website Charlie quoted is the thing I was looking for.

My family comes from the Lüneburger Heide, so there was a great probability that a relative enlisted in the Heideregiment, but nevertheless it is a bit worrisome to really find someone in this regiment that, before Tamines, sent volunteers to the Boxer Rising and the war against the Herero and Nama in Deutsch-Südwest, which led eventually to the first genocide perpetrated by Germans.

My greatgreatuncle Wilhelm Schröder survived the whole war in this unit; the Verlustlisten mention him slightly wounded in 1914 and 1918, so I guess I have to go through all the pages.

Markus

I won't go into this typically German discussion about its armies' past and the nowadays judgment one should have. I think all colonial powers have a similar past (look at the native populations in the Americas f.i.) and it is historically incorrect to use nowadays' views and ideas onto things that happened a hundred years and more ago.

On 27/10/2019 at 06:01, AOK4 said:

I won't go into this typically German discussion

Of course it is true for every army - it was just a general remark; As an American, eg, you would also be happier if you knew that your forefather stormed the beaches of Normandy to liberate Europe instead of knowing that he belonged to the troops who killed in the hours afterwards German soldiers who had already surrendered and thrown away their weapons, like the 101st Airborne did in Audouville or the Canadian II Corps during Operation Totalise.

On 26/10/2019 at 08:01, Jaeger6 said:

I'm desperately looking for the Erinnerungsblätter of the notorious (2. Hannoversches) Infanterie-Regiment 77, also called Heideregiment, responsible for the massacre at Tamines on 22 August 1914.

There's the diary of Werner Dittmann which can be read and downloaded (at your own risk) here:

https://pdfdokument.com/kriegstagebuch-von-werner-dittmann_59832fdb1723ddfbecf3e327.html

• 1 month later...
On 26/10/2019 at 14:41, charlie2 said:

You can obtain a digital copy from Patrick for 10€. I think it is the 800 page history.

Thanks a lot, Charlie. Patrick had to update and rebuild the homepage due to some legal retrictions as it seems, but it runs smoothly now and I did indeed get the 800 pages version of the Erinnerungsblätter with pictures in seperate files which is also helpful.

Best wishes

Markus

Edited by Jaeger6

• 2 years later...

Thank you @Ken S., I didn't notice that the WLB published new Erinnerungsblätter recently.