Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Van Coullie's Mill, Klerken

kelly

Good afternoon all

Recently purchased yet another excellent Western Front Association calendar for 2020

October posts a photo and narrative on Van Coullie's Mill, Klerken which I intend to visit, but before I go I'd ask if any fellow battlefield travellers have been and can tell me a little about it

Is the set up, ie, entrance, layout like that small but excellent museum at Klein Zwaanhof a little further south

Garry

Hello,

It's basically the ruins (more because of many years of neglect than because of the war) of a windmill. It is accessible at all times (stairs and a look-out platform were constructed in the ruins) and one has an excellent view over the northern part of the Ypres Salient.

Jan

On 25/10/2019 at 14:29, kelly said:

Recently purchased yet another excellent Western Front Association calendar for 2020

Thanks for the great feedback, this is an annual 'labour of love'. 

As mentioned in the earlier reply this is an unmanned site with unrestricted access. Although not well signed, it can be located relatively easily outside yhe town of klerken. Klerken is on high ground and the mill is quite a tall structure (the open grill staircase may be disconcerting for anyone scared of heights) but the views from the top are breathtaking. 

The sales of the WFA's calendar help to support our work (for example the saving of the pension records). 

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/latest-news/august-2019/wfa-calendar-2020-orders-now-being-taken/