Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grenade as opposed to HE shell?

Ralph J. Whitehead

I am more familiar with German records so I am a bit confused when reading the Red Cross POW records of captured German troops. In some cases the cause of a wound is mentioned. These show terms such as Gunshot wound, bullet wound and hand grenade wound, all of which are self explanatory.

However, many simply say 'Grenade'. In the German records a Granate is an artillery shell and a Handgranate is a hand grenade. Does the term Grenade as used in the Red Cross records indicate an artillery shell? Can anyone provide some guidance on this? Thanks.

Ralph

• Admin

I don’t know about the Red Cross but British records used the abbreviation ‘GSW’ to describe any all penetrating wounds. 

They did not differentiate as to the weapon which caused the wound.

From your description it appears the Red Cross Records fell between the two camps going for the specific as well as the generic.

Ken 

I did a little more research and comparison to known loss descriptions of men found on these lists. I can only assume that the word 'grenade' by itself does indicate an artillery shell as it would in German, 'Granate' as opposed to Handgranaten, or hand grenade. Further entries do support this finding.