Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Correct Helmet for July 1916, and etc.

GLind87

Hello all, I'm curious about what helmet is most appropriate for British soldiers at the onset of the Somme Offensive. I know the rimless Brodie helmet was first issued out in small numbers in 1915, but I'm curious about when the rimmed, second pattern helmet started superseding the original Brodie helmets in prevalence. Were rimless helmets still more prevalent than rimmed ones in July 1916?

Furthermore, I'm curious about when helmets started receiving the sand paint finish. I've heard 1917 - which makes sense because it's somewhat concurrent with the orders to stop wearing helmet covers due to risks from mustard gas, so a new method of camouflage was needed. However, that's not to say those two things are linked.

Thanks for the help, and apologies if this has been covered before in a previous thread.

Of the War Office Pattern (raw edge, blue/ green paint colours etc), 1,000,000 had been supplied by July 1916; and it is the helmet that would have been present on July 1st.

Of the second type you refer to - formally The Helmet, Steel, Mark I - with rim and sanded finish, 1,000 had been on trial since May 1916, which would have made it a rare item that July.

It was formally approved in "early July" (Haselgrove) and dubbed the Mark I as above in September 2016.

The rubber doughnut under the crown was added in May 1917.

Cheers,

GT.

I recently saw 10 Brodies dug up on the battlefield. All were raw edge.