Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WFA Pension Cards: Is this a clerk's error?

rolt968

The following is an extract from the pension card relating to two men I am researching.

HosieGWF.jpg.304346781d394377c5a9e92e26267bc6.jpg

The lady concerned lost two sons. The card covers both.

The family name was "Hosie" not "Smith" and appears correctly for the two sons elsewhere on the cards. She had no middle names. her maiden surname was "Duncan". There were no Smiths in her family at all. She did not remarry after her husband's death.

Is this just a clerk's error or am I missing something?

RM

15 hours ago, rolt968 said:

The following is an extract from the pension card relating to two men I am researching

Can you post the url to the card? 

22 hours ago, David Tattersfield said:

Can you post the url to the card? 

This is the WFA url:

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com:2061/image/668932061

RM

Edit: The ledger reference is in the great Scottish dependents' register "void" (1/D/19300 to 1/D/54499).

Edited by rolt968

36 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

His second card also has the same details so, if it is an error, the same was made on the other card.

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com:2061/image/668932021

Craig

Many thanks Craig

That is effectively a duplicate card except that the names of the brothers are in a different order.

(Presumably used when the pension was paid for the death of two or more brothers to index the single ledger entries?)

I will have to look again at the cards where pensions are paid for more than one brother.

It looks like the same handwriting on both cards and one "R.HDRS" in red. 

RM

On 25/10/2019 at 11:54, rolt968 said:

Presumably used when the pension was paid for the death of two or more brothers to index the single ledger entries?)

Yes, that's correct. If siblings were killed the claim for the pension would be cross referenced by a card for each of the fatalities. Each card would be filed in the correct alphabetical place thus enabling details of the ledger to be located under either/any of the soldiers' names. This becomes more understandable if you see the cards (rather than use an online search engine!) 

On 25/10/2019 at 11:54, rolt968 said:

It looks like the same handwriting on both cards

Yes, which makes sense if you consider the ledger would be created immediately followed by the card(s) to enable the ledger number to be located from the card(s). Therefore one clerk would undertake the entire process.