Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

any info on RSM T J Staines - late Coldstream Guards

Coldstreamer

Hello

does any one have any information on RSM Staines of this btn ?  He served overseas from Nov 1915 until Feb 1919 (RSM from July 1917 - MSM gazetted Jan 1917 and MID gazetted Dec 1918)

I have his service papers with the RF and also the CG

cheers

Ian

Edited by Coldstreamer

anything ?

On 23/10/2019 at 16:35, Coldstreamer said:

He served overseas from Nov 1915 until Feb 1919

1 hour ago, Coldstreamer said:

anything ?

Just so you don't feel you are being ignored:

He first went overseas with 21st (Public schools) Bn in Nov 1915. LLT adds: 27 February 1916 : transferred to GHQ; disbanded on 24 April 1916 with many of the men being commissioned as officers.

Then posted to 26th Bn on 23/5/16. That Bn had landed in France 3 weeks earlier.

War Diaries for 26th are here at Discovery but the Italian one is not digitised. The other two should be available on Ancestry.

1939 Register has him as a Licenced Victualer (a classic for a senior WO) in Islington, with his wife Millie and a couple of daughters. My maths says that Hilda, born 10th Sept 1918, would have been concieved when her father should have been in Italy ?

I presume that his death was 1968 in Islington.

But I suspect you know all this !

Charlie

thanks - didnt know all the info you provided

and def hadnt seen the Royal Household record

There are also some relevant press clippings on FindmyPast Newspapers under "Drummer Staines" that show him a useful man with bat and gun.

592060609_GWFStainesTJDrummerSgtcricket.JPG.dc57ca96f24e4e787989e1dd4b9e51ab.JPG

711212301_GWFStainesTJDrummerSgtshootingprize.JPG.e43baebb010c5b56ef626c8707146eb6.JPG

There are further articles. He was a good footballer in 1903 and he hit 27out of 28 in a snap-shooting contest in 1911.

HLI Chronicle:

1938703541_GWFStainesTJDrummerSgtHLIfootball.JPG.57ec4e5fef9da25011c508b149492a04.JPG

Edited by charlie962

I knew he was a good shot 

Hadnt tried searching Drummer & Staines

Always more to find

cheers

Another Royal Household page of interest. Note it is dated the day following the death of Edward VII.

1627499763_GWFStainesTJDrummerSgt1910Household.JPG.36b5711e507c248010ed553ca5ebb10f.JPG

There ought to be a good photo of him in Sgt Drummer uniform ?

Edited by charlie962

thanks for finding these gems

Incidentally, what are nowadays called drum-majors in the Foot Guards are given the appointment of Household Drummer to the King/Queen, which is why they wear the distinctive uniform of jockey cap, heavily gold-embroidered coat and white breeches on ceremonial occasions when the Sovereign or certain other senior Royals are present. On other occasions they wear the normal drummers' uniform, but with the lace trimmings in gold instead of white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veE0eOYp5RQ

Ron

thanks Ron

I have a picture of RSM Staines taken in 1912 with his btn on manoeuvres so not in all his regalia

Ian

:w00t:

The 1911 Census of England & Wales has a 32 year old Sergeant Drummer Thomas John Staines, 2nd Battalion, Coldstream Guards, recorded in Barracks at the Marlborough Lines, Aldershot. All bar one of the entries on the page are married and either senior NCO's or officers, although from a variety of units - the only other 2nd Battalion Coldstrean Guards man is a Quarter Master Sergeant Thomas Cosgrove. No families are shown with them. The birthplace of Thomas Staines is shown as Widcombe, Somerset.

Is that the same man? Do age, place of birth and location at the start of April 1911 tie up with whats in his service records ?

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

I presume that his death was 1968 in Islington.

That man was aged 90, so would tie up with the individual on the Census. Death was registered in the July to September quarter.

The Probate Calendar has a Thomas John Staines of 9 Granville Road, Stroud Green, London, who died on the 12th July 1968. Unfortunately by that date the details published no longer included who the Legal Executor \ Administrator was.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar#calendar

Hope that helps,

Peter

Thomas John Staines 1968 Probate sourced probatesearch gov uk.png

Thanks - I had a note of the year but not the exact date

as we have (very helpfully I might add) wandered off the title I have changed it 

appreciate all the comments and its given me some new ideas and ways to search on FMP

cheers

You ought to tweek the wording in your OP to mention the 26th Bn RF !

I found that a search in FMP Newspapers for forename 'drummer' surname 'staines' produced different results to, say, surname 'staines' and keywords 'sergeant drummer'.  You really do have to try a variety of ideas.

Charlie

PS if ever you find a pic of him in full fig then it would be great to see

I added 26 RF as a hashtag

def post a pic if find one

1.  Thomas John Staines was baptised in the Parish of Widcombe, Somerset, on 18 August 1878. Son of Police Constable John William Staines and his wife Marianne nee Sharpe.

Edit:  DOB recorded as 12 July 1878 on 1939 Register.

2.  1911 Census as per #16.

Image 134 - courtesy of ancestry:

657493193_Image134.jpg.10256f641e3992ae9f88da089b021e31.jpg

Image 185 - courtesy of ancestry:

135955915_Image185.jpg.7fca2122961c17f028721cd22aea0af4.jpg

3.  His wife Millie Harriet, also of 9 Granville Road, London NW4, died 21 January 1965. Administration granted to son Thomas John Frederick Staines.

Edit:  Millie Harriet (Harriet Amelia Bromage) was born 19 January 1884 (1939 Register).

JP

Edited by helpjpl
DOB

Thanks for the info

• 1 year later...

A year later on but I have his pic

drum.jpg