Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discrimination , Monument aux Crapouillots

crickhollow

The centrepiece at the  Laffoux Group of Memorials to the east of Soissons is the memorial to the 12,000 men of the artillere de tranchée. 'Crapouillot' was the nickname given to the French mortarmen meaning 'little toad' and is a reference to the high-angled trajectory of a mortar round similar to a toad's leap.  The memorial is in the shape of a trench mortar with fins.

983853333_Screenshot2019-10-23at14_55_45.png.7a2aea78746ce49fba33ff3493362526.png

The information panel (below) states that 'trench mortar crews were not invited to participate in the Victory parade in July 14th 1919'.

1474273783_Screenshot2019-10-23at14_45_57.png.28c2fd4fb79a01cb5894aa9feb77cef2.png

This seems to be a very odd prejudice.  Do any GWF members have an explanation?    I don't think German and British trench mortar teams suffered from this discrimination.

It does seem to be odd to have singled out those who had operated with trench mortars. Could this be a mistake on the part of the plaque's creator r possibly an error in the English translation? Like you, I would be interested to know if someone has a definitive answer for this.

This is the full information panel

1775588201_Screenshot2019-10-23at15_35_41.png.9a0613010b65534250cf2acf76234db7.png

The very rough translation of the top sentence says:
During the parade of the victory the servants of this weapon do not besides prompt invites to march alongside the comrades infantry and gunners

Screenshot 2019-10-23 at 15.35.41.png

A more precise translation 

“In addition, those who used this weapon were not allotted a place in the victory parade of July 14, 1919, with the artillery and infantry.”

I am not aware of the reason for this, except possibly that the trench mortar arm was disbanded immediately after the Armistice and so officially did not exist by the time of the parade.

Cheers Martin B

I don't think I have ever heard of an official dislike of them but I have read of infantry hating them for turning up and shelling the enemy but leaving before the inevitable riposte from their artillery.

15 hours ago, Martin Bennitt said:

A more precise translation 

“In addition, those who used this weapon were not allotted a place in the victory parade of July 14, 1919, with the artillery and infantry.”

I am not aware of the reason for this, except possibly that the trench mortar arm was disbanded immediately after the Armistice and so officially did not exist by the time of the parade.

Cheers Martin B

I would agree with Martin in this matter.

Jan

3 hours ago, AOK4 said:

I would agree with Martin in this matter.

Jan

As would I. On a par with the disbandment of the MGC in the UK, I would suspect.

Thanks for the comments.

Reading the top of the information panel it appears that this monument was erected by an 'ancien artilleur de tranche' in 1930 and dedicated to 'une arme voue a disparaître une fois l'armistice signe' (a weapon destined to disappear once the armistice was signed).

For some reason there is a suggestion that these French mortar units did not receive due recognition.

I have not been able to find out how trench mortar units were organised in the French Army so unable to comment on whether they were 'disbanded' after WW1.  I imagine that this capability was still relevant even up to WW2?  The French Army  used a variety of trench mortars listed here:

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/Canons/Eng_AfficheCanonGET.php?IdCanonAffiche=425

It included  the 'Aerial Torpedo' crapouillots (as shown by the Laffaux memorial ) which I imagine had a dedicated military unit for use in the field. 

image.png.5fea87db1ca5abc1df9ace66e28a3f78.png 

The organisation of trench mortar units in the British Army is briefly described here https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/the-british-trench-mortar-batteries-in-the-first-world-war/ 

There is also some discussion on trench mortar organisation in the British Army at  GWF Trench mortar batteries  (Oct 2014)

Maybe a comparison of WW1 British / French and German trench mortar capability could be a topic for further research for a keen GWF member?!

On 24/10/2019 at 09:31, Heid the Ba said:

I don't think I have ever heard of an official dislike of them but I have read of infantry hating them for turning up and shelling the enemy but leaving before the inevitable riposte from their artillery.

I believe in the BEF similar opprobrium was reserved for visiting elements of the MGC and Trench Mortars too!