Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Real or fake?

newnsj

Hi,

I wonder if anyone who has knowledge could help me?  I have been contacted by a person who I spoke to over a year ago on here who says that he has come across one of my ancestors war medals.  Now obviously if it is real it has immense sentimental value but I know nothing of medals and was hoping someone on here could spot if its an obvious fake.  He wants £100 for it.  What strikes me is that the markings on the reverse seem to be engraved rather than impressed, but again I have no clue about this stuff, online some appear very different?

Any help would be really appreciated as it might help stop me making an expensive mistake?

Kind regards,

Joe

Pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Looks  ok to me but I am not an expert. £100 sounds a bit expensive. Check on Ebay there are usually plenty of 14/15 stars for sale. Then if others on here agree that it is ok, make an offer. Also check that he was entitled to it.

Thanks he says he came across it so he is not entitled to it, I know I can get cheaper ones online, the value of it is purely that it belonged (hopefully) to my relative and wasn't engraved at Timpsons or something.

alastaircox

thanks I am aware of his history, I have news stories and even a picture of his grave stone in Belgium but that would be trivial for someone to look up and this person knows my research interests (all family based).  does the engraving look right to you because that is what makes me think twice?

2 hours ago, newnsj said:

alastaircox

thanks I am aware of his history, I have news stories and even a picture of his grave stone in Belgium but that would be trivial for someone to look up and this person knows my research interests (all family based).  does the engraving look right to you because that is what makes me think twice?

Yes, 100% correct.

the star is typical of normal British issued stars. 

unfortunately, there are a few people dealing that inflate the price because they know they have a buyer. I was informed of a medal to family named soldier by a 'dealer', at auction I was out bid. then a week later he deleted his email to me and offered it at a well inflated price, which on principal I refused.

there are of course medals to those who died in specific actions eg 1st July 1916, that command a higher premium. If he died in one of these actions then maybe, but £100 does sound high.  a quick search of the date, so nothing notable. Unless the regiment war diaries says anything different.

5/5/1915 Battle of Gorlice-Tarnow ends 

6/5/1915 Second Battle of Krithia (Dardanelles) begins 

7/5/1915 Lusitania sunk

a further check, he died of wounds on the 6th so was presumaby wounded earlier, the war diaries have the first page missing unfortunately, but before and after they were in Dickebusch near Ypres so must have been wounded there and died at casualty clearing station at Bailleul, Nord.approx 15 km away crossing the French/Belgium border

This medal is correctly impressed in the first type official naming for the 1914/15 star.These stars were manufactured and named in this style by Wright and Sons. The medal should be priced around £65 so it is overpriced. I would make an offer if I were you as no one else will buy it at that price. £75 to £80 would be a premium price to offer. I would probably pay over the top if it were to a relative of mine. best w, Howard

Greetings from Sherwood Forest

This is just my personal opinion. If an obviously genuine medal as this one is came up to a member of my family at a price that is a bit over the top

then I would most certainly buy it. It isn't as if you will be doing it every day. There are times when it is necessary to dig a bit deeper into your pocket

for something that you would really like.

Old Robin Hood.

You could always wait for it to be relisted,  but I've been caught out before either seller relists for higher price or lower and bidding takes above original price. Good luck