Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
JamesCl

Sergeant Henry Dufty - Gloucestershire Regiment Military Medal

JamesCl

1/4th Battalion - 5714TF

2/5th Battalion - 202042

I'm trying to find out more about this soldier's Military Medal that he was awarded. Here is the link to the London Gazette issue (13 June 1919) , and here is the record:

image.png.ea5145edf3d74fe13c26646551e11b1a.png

I have searched through the War Diaries for both battalions, as well as the Brigade HQ War Diaries for both Battalions, and haven't found any mention of this soldier. I couldn't find any sevice records either, so these were probably lost to the fire. I'm unsure when he moved to the 2/5th from the 1/4th.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by JamesCl

Medaler

Hiya,

Search the London Gazette for his entry.....

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

It seems to be the edition published in the Edinburgh Gazette on 19/06/1919. The entry is:

202042, Sjt Dufty H. 5th Bn. (Bristol)

Once you have the date that was published search the local newspapers to see if the award received any coverage. Start your search of these three months before the gazette publication date and continue it for a couple of months afterwards.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Medaler

JamesCl

Thanks Mike,

I've found this (so far) in the Gloucester Journal - 28 June 1919 (from britishnewspaperarchive)

image.png.1d90349798c0d8e22a1754cd281a2a26.png

Unfortunately it isn't any more information than what is already on the medal card. Did citations come with all Military Medals, or only certain recipients?  

Thanks, 

James 

Medaler

Hello James,

Well, the "Bristol" bit tells you (I think) where he enlisted, so that might make him leap out on Census returns etc

Regarding MM citations, they all had them, but at some stage the authorities decided to bin them all. I would be the first to tell you that gallantry awards are not my speciality, but I think your best hope lies in the local press coverage. You may well get a more informed answer from another member here, but I would keep plugging away at the local papers. Sorry I am no more use than that.

Interesting that you found that entry. It's a straight lift of the info in the Gazette - but quotes the 17th June publication date. That would be the London Gazette. When I searched it only brought up the duplicate entry in the Edinburgh Gazette that was printed 2 days later.

Regards,

Mike

collectorsguide

Henry Dufty MM LGaz 17.6.19. Schedule Number 245386 one of 5 MMs awarded to 2/5th Bn Glouc.Regt for the Battle of the Selle Oct/Nov 1918. Possibly last MMs awarded to Bn for the war.Awarded with SJT H J WINTER; PTE C H E KING; PTE F CUTTS; L/CPL T J SALTER; RP/NO 68/121/822  (BATTLE OF THE SELLE/VALENCIENNES.FINAL ADVANCE etc)

L/Gaz 17.6.19 (no 63)covers 1.9.18 to 5.11.18.

Note Battalion is 2/5th Bn not 1/5th Bn.  best w, Howard

collectorsguide

Note BRISTOL is his home town. It is likely he enlisted there.L/Gaz entries with the town/city in brackets denotes Home Town.Sometimes the entry is prefixed by a capital "E" This means Enlisted usually substituted if home town is not noted on soldiers records. best w, Howard

JamesCl

Thanks for the help Howard,

I've had another look at 184 Infantry Brigade HQ war diary (WO 95/3064) & 2/5 Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment (WO 95/3066) - specifically for Oct\Nov 1918. I found this for the month of October:

image.png.651d7932f33cee4c19c71fe47a6db21e.png

Unfortunately there wasn't a similar sheet for November. Seeing as Dufty isn't on the sheet, I'm guessing he would have been awarded it in November? 

collectorsguide

James,This was a difficult one to call.Unfortunately the history of the 2/5 awards section seems to finish in March 1919 before these were promulgated. best w, Howard

JamesCl

Thanks for the help Howard,

I know this is a bit beyond the scope of the original thread (i'm new to all of this), but does anyone know what are the best resources for newspaper archives? I'm currently only searching  on britishnewspaperarchive, but I don't think they have all of the local papers for Bristol.

As a side note, Henry Dufty was from Bedminster, Bristol - I'm not sure if that will help narrow down the newspaper that i'm after.