Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

ROBERT 171

where were casualties taken from Gallipoli

ROBERT 171

my grandfather was wounded by a shell in gallipoli, he was evacuated aboard hmhs assaye, where would the casualties be taken and what would the hospital names be, regards Rob

Edited by ROBERT 171
spelling correction

kenf48
14 minutes ago, ROBERT 171 said:

my grandfather was wounded by a shell in gallipoli, he was evacuated aboard hms assaye, where would the casualties be taken and what would the hospital names be, regards Rob

It depends how serious the injury was, Malta was known as the 'Nurse of the Mediterranean' and certainly most of those evacuated from Gallipoli for sickness were treated there.

See https://www.maltaramc.com/articles/contents/greatwar.html

and http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/190.html

Malta was the staging post, men would either be deemed fit enough to return to the Dardanelles or evacuated to the UK.  There were some medical facilities on Mudros but these were deemed inadequate.  

There is an extensive earlier thread on HMHS Assaye

Ken

ROBERT 171

thanks Ken, i was actually reading through the thread on hmhs assaye when you replied to my thread, my grandfather was on periscope duty when a shell landed in front of him, the periscope took most of the blast and prevented him from getting a more serious injury, the injury was still bad enough for him to be evacuated but where too im not sure, he was wounded early jan 16... he was later transferred to the Northumberland Fusiliers  rgds Rob

seaJane

From what I have been able to read in the diary of a surgeon aboard REWA there were several possibilities.This is what he says at one point:-

"The Colonel R.A.M.C.* told me that on 28th, 29th & 30th June [1915] he transhipped over 5,000 wounded, so our 500 represented only one tenth of total, but they were the worst cases; it is intended that we should take only very bad cases, the others being carried to Mudros, Alexandria and Malta, to the former place in quite small craft which do the distance in 3 hours."

I have calculated from the diary that from mid-June to September 30 1915 there were fifteen British hospital ships, army and navy, on the Lemnos-Gallipoli run at some time or another. They were occasionally treated almost as clearing stations when the shore posts were under pressure, i.e. very lightly wounded might be treated and returned ashore.

sJ

*Colonel RAMC = Walter Percival Yetts, 1878-1957, formerly RNMS 1903-1912

Maureene

Compton Mackenzie embarked on the 'Franconia' at Alexandria to proceed to Gallipoli on 15 May 1915. According to his account, it had just prior brought  5000 wounded from Gallipoli and he was shown a cabin  splashed  with blood floor to ceiling.

https://archive.org/details/gallipolimemorie00comp/page/29/mode/1up

Gallipoli Memories by Compton Mackenzie page 29 Archive.org.

Cheers

Maureen

keithmroberts

Some were moved further, presumably after assessment at one of the earlier locations. I researched Frederick Jones who served as Pte 4337  Frank Barraclough, The Border Regiment,   a Suvla (Scimitar Hill), casualty who was put ashore at Gibraltar and died there  in hospital on 11/09/1915  before being buried on the Gibraltar (North Front) Cemetery. His MIC incorrectly showed KIA on 21/08/1915. I did not find a location between his wounding and his transfer to Gibraltar. A letter referred to in a newspaper report states that he was put ashore in Gibraltar at the end of August which means that he was treated elsewhere for approximately a week.

Its clear that Malta had some 20,000 hospital beds, so its role was surely the largest treatment centre for gallipoli casualties.

PJS

Some light reading:

Medical Services; General History Vol IV, Gallipoli is covered extensively in the first part of the book.

Gallipoli Casualties by Month:

Casualties.PNG.3c457d171fe9323832f22772665b67db.PNG

A short but interesting article on what happened to the wounded before they were evacuated is SURGERY ON THE GALLIPOLI PENINSULA, the British Medical Journal, September 25, 1915 by Capt. John Morley, RAMC.  The PDF is here.

My paternal Grandfather was wounded at Gallipoli and evacuated to No 5 Canadian Stationary Hospital in Cairo. My maternal Grandfather (RAMC) served in the No 21 British General Hospital hospital in Alexandria, treating wounded from Gallipoli. All of the newspaper reports relating to the 1/9th Manchesters that I have read referencing medical evacuation from Gallipoli mention treatment in either Egypt or Malta.

Peter

frev

On 23/10/2019 at 05:51, ROBERT 171 said:

he was evacuated aboard hmhs assaye, where would the casualties be taken

On 23/10/2019 at 06:26, ROBERT 171 said:

he was wounded early jan 16...

The first and last trip the Assaye made in January 1916, before being sent to Bombay later that month:

The Assaye arrived at Cape Helles in the afternoon of the 2/1/1916 and took in sick & wounded until the 4/1/1916, leaving at 4pm.  Arrived at Alexandria, Egypt 8.30am 7/1/1916.

[Source: Bessie Pocock’s diary, Matron on the Assaye]

Cheers, Frev