Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map/positions around High Wood?

Michael Thomson

Hello. I was wondering if anybody has a map showing the trenches and positions from 1916 immediately around High Wood, in particular on the side where the London Cemetery now stands? 

I've looked for this and have found a very interesting 'body count density' map but am interested in locating trench positions in the immediate area of the London cemetery along the road that borders the Wood.

Thank you so much for your help. 

Hi Michael,

Try this link from the National Library of Scotland.  London Cemetery can be seen on the left-centre and a good map is at https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=13&lat=50.0649&lon=2.7919&layers=101464774&b=1&marker=50.040473,2.787966.  From there, try 57cSW3 1:10K SEP 03 1916.

image.png.74f09915848b4e80f8a9202710f31f80.png

Maybe an even better one for you is at McMaster University - Sheet 57c SW3 Longueval 18 AUG 16, as it has some more detail in your are a of interest:

image.png.bbce8390d225cfd9b550dd0eef9e3e05.png

These might help. A more specific date may help, a lot went on around there and the front and hence mapping, moved. Oddly, something I had not noticed before, a lot of maps that include High Wood do not have trench names.

Howard

High Wood1.jpg

High Wood2.jpg

Thank you so much everybody for all the help! Absolutely brilliant! It is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Michael Thomson