Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'1918' stamped M1917 bayonets.

sgt-maj

Ayup peeps, thought I'd share my little find of yesterday from a collector friend of mine.

Depending upon where in the country one looks, and obviously in the circles that one orientates around, will put a spin on how often one comes across certain items. From my own experience, I know that these items are quite rare, but I have come across many during the decades that I have been collecting edged weapons. However, I last saw such an item... not in reality (for that has been many months since), but for sale on a dealers internet site. Such items I will normally snap up, and then pass on to friends that I know are looking.

Yesterday was no exception, but it certainly was unique.... two at once. I took a call asking if I was interested in any M1917 (1918 stamped) bayonets, and in minutes.. was in my car.

These, as with many M1917's, are normally found in the WW2 Home Guard configuration, and a leather bayonet frog attached to the scabbard (as the photo shows of one from my collection). Many scabbards having the wire hanger cut off. The icing on the cake for me, is that both the early war Mk.1 and later Mk.2 scabbards are included.

1918 -1.JPG

1918 - 2.JPG

SAM_9499.JPG

Edited by sgt-maj

A very lucky find Sgt-Maj, many thanks for sharing.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Well done! It can be ages before the right piece come along... I am shortly to receive my first artillery-marked S.98/05 - wanted one for ages.

Everything comes to those who wait... or so they say. I'm a very firm believer in that adage, but I also think that a lot depends upon the circles that one travels within. Sitting back in the hope that a desired piece will simply float into ones view, in my opinion, will never be the case. At least it hasn't happened in my experience as yet :( However, actively searching out certain items, as well as rubbing shoulders with the like minded, certainly boosts ones chances of the 'Holy Grail' coming into view.

Hope you'll be sharing your treasured 'Artillery marked S,98/05 with us 'Trajan' :rolleyes:

On 05/11/2019 at 13:53, sgt-maj said:

Hope you'll be sharing your treasured 'Artillery marked S,98/05 with us 'Trajan' :rolleyes:

I will indeed! When time and the kids permit! Oh, I have 'new' NSW HQ to report as well...:unsure: So role on some free-time!

Edited by trajan