Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Pensions for solders discharged because of injury.

Nightingale

Not sure if this in correct forum, apologise in advance if I’ve posted  it in wrong place.

I wanted to know if my Great Grandfather would have been entitled to an Army pension he enlisted in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in 1915 and left in 1918 after being injured on the 21st June 1917, his right arm was amputated. I’m sure I read somewhere about the pension, only being given for a short while, until the soldier could use the new limb and then the pension was reduced or stopped, can’t remember which now and can’t find what I have read anywhere.  So I wondered if anybody could tell me more or advise me where I might find  information on pensions.

Edited by Nightingale

If he had an arm amputated then he would certainly be entitled to a pension, His service record may indicate if he received a pension. This may be available on Ancestry or Findmypast. He may also be included in the pension ledgers indexed on Ancestry, and available to view on Fold 3.

If you can provide some details about him {is you know];;- name, regiment, number, date of birth, where he lived - then we may be able to help you.

Regards,

Alf McM

1 hour ago, alf mcm said:

If he had an arm amputated then he would certainly be entitled to a pension, His service record may indicate if he received a pension. This may be available on Ancestry or Findmypast. He may also be included in the pension ledgers indexed on Ancestry, and available to view on Fold 3.

If you can provide some details about him {is you know];;- name, regiment, number, date of birth, where he lived - then we may be able to help you.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf,

Thanks for answering and giving me some other ideasI have looked in Ancestry and can only find a meadal card record and a record of him being given a (silver ) war badge, nothing about a pension. I don’t at present have a fold 3 account or find my past, but may have to take out membership since I can’t seem to find anything else about him.

He was in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 1/6th (Renfrewshire) his regimental serial numbers were 6008 and 252883 he enlisted on the 21/12/1915 and was discharged on 18/09/1918

He was resident in London at the time of the war in either Palace Gate road, Wood Green or Victoria road Wood Green and married to a Janette (Matthews) Stuart. His father Robert Stuart was deceased and his mother was a Isabella Stuart the family came from Airdrie in Scotland originally. 

I found a newspaper clipping about him being wounded and his right forearm amputated in France 21/06/1917, This made me think he might have got a pension but I do know a lot of these records were lost in WW2 so maybe why I can’t find anything. 

Hi Alf,

Sorry his name is Gilbert Stuart, no idea how I managed not to include such a vital bit of information! 

I have had a look at the WFA pension records for

Gilbert Stuart  along with the service numbers provided, his name or service numbers  do not bring up any results

Having said that not all the records have not yet been uploaded to Ancestry 

so his pension record if he has one may turn up at a later date

Ray

Thanks for that. I have checked on Fold 3 and there is no mention of a pension records. However, all is not lost. The pension records are split into pension index ledgers and pension index cards. All the ledgers which have survived {apart from, I think, those for officers} are now on Fold 3. Unfortunately those for the London area have not survived, so there is no mention of Gilbert in the ledgers. All the pension cards for those {apart from officers} who died are on Fold 3. The cards for those who survived the war are not yet on Fold 3. They should be put on probably early next year. Gilbert is sure to be on one of these cards. It is a case of wait and see!

Gilbert's service records have not survived.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf

Thanks for the search much appreciated, so there is some hope. I will just have to wait patiently for next year and try searching then. Was beginning to think it was the end of the trail for information on my Great Grandfather.  I will now content myself with finding his grave, which means I’m on another hunt for information. Although this may be a little easier as I believe the records for Sandyhills cemetery are held at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.

In addition, you may want to look at the War Diary for 6th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. Gilbert will probably not be named but it will probably tell you what was happening before he was injured, and where he was. It is available from The National Archives for £3.50  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352223

It is also on Ancestry, but I am having great difficulty finding it.

Regards,

Alf McM

12 hours ago, Nightingale said:

Not sure if this in correct forum, apologise in advance if I’ve posted  it in wrong place.

I wanted to know if my Great Grandfather would have been entitled to an Army pension he enlisted in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in 1915 and left in 1918 after being injured on the 21st June 1917, his right arm was amputated. I’m sure I read somewhere about the pension, only being given for a short while, until the soldier could use the new limb and then the pension was reduced or stopped, can’t remember which now and can’t find what I have read anywhere.  So I wondered if anybody could tell me more or advise me where I might find  information on pensions.

Where the provision of artificial limbs could alleviate the disability (as far as the ministry of pensions were concerned) then a pension was no longer required.

Craig

4 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Where the provision of artificial limbs could alleviate the disability (as far as the ministry of pensions were concerned) then a pension was no longer required.

Craig 

Thanks Craig, I was sure I had read something like this, but wanted to be sure of my facts, goes some way to explain what happened to my Great Grandfather, as he fell on hard times, which at first we didn’t understand as we assumed he had a war pension, but this explains it.