Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Contact, suck in ... starting an early aircraft

Moonraker

Courtesy of YouTube, I'm working my way through episodes of the 1970s TV drama "Wings".  (See my earlier thread and links therein.)

Most episodes see aircraft being started, with the mechanic saying to the pilot "Contact ... suck in ... etc", then swinging the propeller.

This seems to me to require some strength and skill; indeed, in series 2, episode 4, a mechanic loses his hands because of a malfunction in the plane's equipment.

Over the years, I've read (in fact and fiction) of early aircraft landing away from an airfield, whether due to a mechanical problem, bad weather, visiting Mater & Pater or the Old School or whatever. When the time came to take off, how was the plane started? No problem if the airfield had sent out a repair unit. Otherwise, did a willing (or unwilling) civilian volunteer have a go swinging the propeller? If the plane had an observer, could he carry out the routine and hop back on board before the plane trundled forward? Presumably a pilot on his own couldn't easily do it, less the plane move off without him on board. (Though presumably the wheels would be chocked ...)

Asked in ignorance - expert info appreciated.

Moonraker

All of the above, really.  There are tales of pilots flying solo who had to start up on their own but without chocks (they weren't carried) - it could be a tricky exercise to get back round and into the aircraft before it moved off.  I've just been reading one such where the plane started chasing the pilot who threw himself down just in time.  The plane ran over him (no harm done) but then took off by itself and crashed.  The worst thing was that this was all quite unnecessary: it took place on the home aerodrome and the student couldn't be bothered to wait for a team of mechanics to start it for him.  Worse still, it was observed by a hugely appreciative crowd who found it all rather amusing... apart from the instructor whose pride and joy this particular aircraft was!

The engine startup procedure was completely prescribed to avoid accidents.  "Contact" meant that the pilot switched on so that one further swing should start it... which it didn't always do.  The switch off/on was repeated as necessary.

You might be interested in this Video from NZ showing a replica BE2 starting (twice) and flying.  Though dressed up as a 2c I think this may actually be a later 2e...

Edited by pierssc

Enlightening, thanks. I don't think that I would want to turn the propeller.

(I'm nearing the end of the second series - a couple of episodes have been a bit Bigglesish.)

Moonraker