Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Medal Research

Sharonp

Hi 

I was given some Medal as a gift for my birthday to research but I'm having real trouble can anyone help?

SGT Edward Maybury. 73935. Royal Engineers.

That's all I have any help is welcome.

Thank you. 

Sharon.

:)

His Medal Roll Index Card on Ancestry.co.uk shows he was awarded the Victory and British Medals. There does not appear to be a CWGC entry for him so it looks like he survived the War.

Edited by Jrmh

Sharon,

what colour metal is the medal? Silver for the British War Medal and a goldish colour for the Victory Medal.

Hope this helps,

Simon

These are the medals hope that helps. Thank you as always.

Sharon :D

medal.JPG

The medal on the left is the British War Medal and the other is the Victory Medal. The absence of a 14 or 14-15 star means he didn’t serve in a theatre of war prior to 1916 though he could have been in the army at that stage, just not overseas. If you take a look at the Long Long Trail ( link on home page) you’ll find great assistance in researching individual soldiers.

One of the first ports of call has to be to check if his service record still survives, most were destroyed by Herr Hitler and chums during the blitz. To search for this you will need a subscription to Ancestry or make a trip to the library who often have free access. You could also take out a free trial but remember to cancel it before the end of the trial or you will be charged. Occasionally they also do free access weekend.

If you discover he has no record you could try searching numbers either side of his (a few each side) and this may show a pattern giving you an idea what he got up to. Not 100% but sometimes helps.

Hope the above helps.

Simon

Sharon

His number indicates he served with the Royal Engineers Signal Service and he would have enlisted in or around  October 1915. His service record has not survived. Initially he would have been sent to Bedfordshire  which housed a number of Signal Service training units. It is possible that he had  been a GPO employee pre-war.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thank you so much for your advice and help i really appreciate it.

As always you are amazing.

Thank you

Sharon.