Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irwin??? 12th Hants

Bardess

Since updating my computer I've noticed that some very old newspaper clippings have been saved in a different format and I can't seem to decrease their size in order to read them.

I think this mentions Irwin 12th Hants Regiment Canadian Hosp and Sydenham Road, Smethwick. Can you help please?

irwin.jpg

Edited by Bardess

My guess:

Many friends will regret to hear of the illness of Private G Irwin of the 12th Hants Regiment. His home was at 100 Sydenham Road. War Office intimation(?) states that he was seriously ill at the Canadian Hospital, Naples(?), with malaria. He was well-known in the football world having played for Bilston(?) and Kidderminster. He was an old Albion Athletic player.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

This is George William Irwin, of the Hants Regt then RFC. His RFC number 107272 (not 275 as erroneously noted on MIC) enables you to find his RAF Service record here on FindmyPast which confirms address 100 Sydenham Rd Smethwick and illness malaria 1916.

courtesy FMP:

731969497_GWFIrwinGRFCsvcextract.JPG.864f84123a574d7ce58ca5fa0f99a93b.JPG

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Charlie, that's absolutely brilliant. As the heading said 'Roll of Honour' I suspected that he had died but couldn't find him on CWGC. The fact that you've deciphered the above as illness means that he won't be part of my Smethwick men but it's so good to know that he survived, although I don't have a sub to be able to see his records at the moment. Thank you Charlie.