Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ANDREW MEIKLE, M.M., Lance Sergeant S/3145, 9th Battalion, Gordon Highlanders

Tom Lang

While researching the names on my local War Memorial, I came across the above-named as a cousin of a man who is named on the Memorial.

I'd like to record here, so that his service does not get 'lost'.

I submitted my case to the CWGC and received their reply as follows:

"Our ref: ARMY 9557
Thank you for your email and evidence to support the possible commemoration of S/3145 Lance Serjeant Andrew Meikle, MM.
I can confirm that this has been reviewed/logged (please see our reference above) and will be forwarded in due course to the appropriate service authority (in this case the National Army Museum) who are responsible for adjudicating on UK Army casualties not currently recorded by the Commission. As with all such submissions, it should be noted that the acceptance of this casualty for commemoration is dependent on there being sufficient evidence to prove (to the authority's satisfaction) that his death was service attributable.
We will of course let you know as soon as the final adjudication comes through, however please be aware that it is likely to be several months before we hear anything. This is due to a large increase in cases received over the First World War Centenary period which has resulted in a significant backlog awaiting approval.  
In the meantime, we will of course keep you informed of any developments relating to your case and if you have any questions or require clarification on anything please do not hesitate to contact us again.
Thank you again for your submission.".

ANDREW MEIKLE joined the Gordon Highlanders, and went to France on 9th July, 1915. 

ANDREW MEIKLE was awarded The Military Medal for Bravery in the Field.
He is named in The London Gazette, No 27949, pages 8997 and 9003, dated 12th September, 1916.
He is named in The Edinburgh Gazette, No 12986, pages 1651 and 1657, dated 15th September, 1916.

ANDREW MEIKLE was discharged from the Army on 17th May, 1917. He was no longer fit for military service, and was awarded Silver War Badge No 188,367.

ANDREW MEIKLE 'Died of Wounds' on 1st April, 1920, age 23, at Glenlee Lodge, Hamilton. 
(In the 1920s Glenlee House was used as a tuberculosis hospital.)
The cause of death is shown as Pneumonia (Double).

L/Sgt Meikle, M.M., is not (yet) commemorated on the CWGC or the SNWM.

I am hopeful that the National Army Museum will finally recognise this brave soldier.

Lest We Forget!

1916 09 24 - The Sunday Post page 16 - LSgt Andrew Meikle MM.jpg

Many thanks Graeme. It is a great compliment, coming from someone with your authority.

Kindest Regards,

Tom