Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Acting Captain Andrew Gaston MC RAMC.

deacs

I am researching an acting Captain Andrew Gaston MC RAMC allegedly attached to the 7th Border Regiment. 

I have found everything I can when and where he was born, 10th June 1892 County Antrim.

I've got the censuses for 1901 1911 and 1939. I've found quite a lot on Andrew from the British Newspaper Archive, I have found his citation and where and when he died in 1948 but I can't find a MIC or service file.

I have looked on Ancestry but no luck and even the National Archives.

Can any one help please.

Regards Mike.

Edited by deacs

Hi Mike,

Qualified 10th April, 1916 Medical register for 1923. living Carabeg, Cloughmills , Co. Antrim, the family address.

1924 and 1926 was living 118 Duncan Gardens, Belfast.On board ship from Nigeria. Medical Officer. Same address where his father Andrew died. in 1929

You may already have these photos of his brother

56139930_1475869304.jpg56139930_1457516360.jpg

According to a certain web site Andrew Gaston's  MC  was/is on sale!

Regards Barry

Cheers Barry I do have the info on his brother he as a MIC but can I find John's can I heck ?

I've tried different spellings of his name on Ancestry just in case they've transcribed it wrong but no look so far.

Regards Mike 

Not all officers have an MIC as they had to claim their medals, unlike other serving soldiers. No claim, no MIC. Or claimed later and, again, no MIC.

Not all officer files made it either. The NA has a large number but not everyone’s, sadly.

Hi

I know you said you had citation, but do you have these, giving place and date of deed.

Card states attached to 8SSR

Regards,

Graeme

Image12.jpg

Image13.jpg

Image14.jpg

12 hours ago, wandererpaul said:

Not all officers have an MIC as they had to claim their medals, unlike other serving soldiers. No claim, no MIC. Or claimed later and, again, no MIC.

Not all officer files made it either. The NA has a large number but not everyone’s, sadly.

Cheers for this I didn't know that everyone wouldn't have got a MIC

11 hours ago, GraemeClarke said:

Hi

I know you said you had citation, but do you have these, giving place and date of deed.

Card states attached to 8SSR

Regards,

Graeme

Image12.jpg

Image13.jpg

Image14.jpg

No Graeme I hadn't got that thanks where did you get the card from.

This is why I wanted to see if i could find his MIC just to see if he was attached to the Borders but that card looks like he wasn't. I did read the 7th Border diaries but there was no mention of him unfortunately.

Why I'm researching this chap is as stated by Barry his medals were for sale and a good friend of mine bought them, as he always wanted a  MC medal to a Border Reg chap he bought them I do hope he was attached.

Mike

It isn't clear whether at the time of the action in October 1917 he was attached to 7 Borders or to 8 South Staffs. Both battalions were in the same brigade (51 Bde).  As it was pouring with rain yesterday I spent a little time looking for his name in both battalions, brigade, divisional (including RAMC) diaries without success.  The attack on 12 October 1917 is best described in considerable detail in the 51 Brigade diary.

Max 

Thanks again Graeme.

Max thanks for taking the time to have a look it is much appreciated cheers.

Mike.

• 9 months later...

If of any interest I’ve recently acquired Andrew Gaston’s MC at auction. 

Any background information would be gratefully appreciated

Hi John,

Welcome to the Forum.

To save going over old ground, what do you already know, and what information did you get with the medal purchase?

Regards

Chris

Other than that provided with the medal display and an entry in the London Gazette I only have information from the recent conversation on this forum