Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Galloway - what happened to him in 1920?

Stephen Nulty

Ancestry’s latest pension records have an entry for Pte 33952 T Galloway of the Gordon Highlanders. He was a Prescot man and is commemorated on our town memorial although I have never been able to identify him until coming across this pension record (An application by his mother)

On the card is noted “Missing 16.05.20”

CWGC has an entry for 2867597 Thomas Galloway, 1st Bn., Gordons, date of death 16/05/20 and commemorated on an Addenda Panel of the Helles Memorial. He was 20 years old

The only Medal cards I can immediately locate show a man of this name with number S/2047 and as he has a 1915 Star I assume he isn’t our 20 year old

So it seems he enlisted after the war (hence the 7 digit number). But what happened to him and how did he end up commemorated at Helles             

Grateful for any insight.

Edited by Stephen Nulty

Cheers JP

I'm intrigued as to his report of being "missing" and am wondering if there are any records detailing the events of May 1920 

Edited by Stephen Nulty

I take it there is nothing helpful on his Army Register of Soldiers Effects entry. I don't subscribe to Ancestry but from the publicly available search on that site there appears to be an entry for a Thomas Galloway who died in 1920.

I'm not saying this applies to your man, but I have had a few individuals who I have researched over the years who have died in bathing accidents, boat loss, etc, and the body was not recovered. On a couple the Soldiers Effects entry showed them as presumed drowned and this was the first inkling I had of their cause of death. This has proved very helpful as without a body there may be no local inquest so no local newspaper report at the place of death which then can leave you hunting around for potentially a non-existant newspaper report in the area they came from.

Hope that helps,

Peter

For what it's worth Soldiers Effects gives the two numbers quoted in post #1,  plus date of death as 15.6.20 "on or about. Turkey"

BillyH.

Thanks all. I’ll take a closer look at replies and suggestions in the morning 

Edited by Stephen Nulty

The Gordons were involved with fighting the Turkish Nationalists, so missing could also be "missing in action", possibly kidnapped by them, taken prisoner, had to be left behind in Nationalist territory wounded & never seen again etc.

Thanks for that - it's broadly what I am assuming given the lack of anything more concrete

• 5 months later...

Thomas Galloway is recorded 'In From the Cold Project' Accepted 07.03.2010 Volunteer was Steve Mattock.

He is also mentioned on a thread 31 March 2016 - Gordon Highlander, died 1920 and on Helles Memorial.

Wonder what Steve's Research revealed.

Edited by BarbaraG

Interesting to see that he has one of the seven digit service numbers issued from August 1920 - I wonder when they gave up on the possibility of him reappearing.