Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fuse Setting Tool

DorsetDan

Dear Forum Folk ,

I,am sure I have heard somewhere , that artillerymen in the Great War would sometimes have a fuse setting tool on the end of their white lanyard , instead of a clasp knife .

The first part of my question is - is this true and the second is - what does a fuse setting tool look like , I presume a spanner/wrench type of tool ?

I'am sure a Gunner out there will have the answer .

Many thanks in advance .     DD

Wouldn’t say that a fuse setter or “key” was never attached to a lanyard...far too many Gunners, keys and lanyards for that to be statistically nailed on!  However I think the tool was of a dimension where having in in your breast pocket would be unlikely?

The French had a large sysstem in which the shells had to be put with the fuse downwards. It could be preset to any value that was wanted.

I have seen this kind of device in a few museums. I'll check whether I can find a picture somewhere.

Jan

Hi Dan

do you mean the T shaped key manufactured from brass with wooden handles. The handle is around 5” long 3/4” wide made of hard wood from with a brass stem coming out of the centre, the end of which divides into a U shape for fitting the head of the fuse

regards

2 hours ago, BullerTurner said:

Wouldn’t say that a fuse setter or “key” was never attached to a lanyard...far too many Gunners, keys and lanyards for that to be statistically nailed on!  However I think the tool was of a dimension where having in in your breast pocket would be unlikely?

Many thanks for your reply , yes I agree ,a large item in a small pocket is not a good idea .

2 hours ago, AOK4 said:

The French had a large sysstem in which the shells had to be put with the fuse downwards. It could be preset to any value that was wanted.

I have seen this kind of device in a few museums. I'll check whether I can find a picture somewhere.

Jan

Thanks Jan , would be interested to see a photo.

Hi DD,

I have had a look at Treatise on Ammunition 1915 which gives details of the various keys, etc. used in connection with fuzes at that stage.  As far as I can tell almost all were issued with a lanyard and the lanyard is illustrated in most cases.  Below is a photo taken from the Treatise on Ammunition 1915 showing the Key, No.20. with lanyard and there are a number of similar illustrations in the book.

In case it is of interest, below are also a couple of photos of a German fuze setting key in my collection.

Regards,

Michael.

DSC04714.JPG

DSC03347.JPG

DSC03372.JPG

5 minutes ago, DorsetDan said:

Thanks Jan , would be interested to see a photo.

There's such a device in the museum in Fleury, I seem to recall. I don't have a picture unfortunately. It is not just a key but a box-like device with plenty of things that can be preset. One just had to put in the shells upside down and the fuses would be set according to the presets.

Jan

1 hour ago, Dave1418 said:

Hi Dan

do you mean the T shaped key manufactured from brass with wooden handles. The handle is around 5” long 3/4” wide made of hard wood from with a brass stem coming out of the centre, the end of which divides into a U shape for fitting the head of the fuse

regards

Not sure Dave , I don't have a clue what a fuse setter/key looks like , but at that size , I can't see it fitting in a pocket .

15 minutes ago, Michael Haselgrove said:

Hi DD,

I have had a look at Treatise on Ammunition 1915 which gives details of the various keys, etc. used in connection with fuzes at that stage.  As far as I can tell almost all were issued with a lanyard and the lanyard is illustrated in most cases.  Below is a photo taken from the Treatise on Ammunition 1915 showing the Key, No.20. with lanyard and there are a number of similar illustrations in the book.

In case it is of interest, below are also a couple of photos of a German fuze setting key in my collection.

Regards,

Michael.

DSC04714.JPG

DSC03347.JPG

DSC03372.JPG

Many thanks for taking the time to send photos Michael , I now know what a fuse key/tool looks like . They are bigger than I thought and is looking unlikely that they would be kept in a pocket . Maybe the lanyard was not the one worn on the tunic ? Your German keys are very impressive , thanks for sharing .

Hello again Forum Folk ,

Firstly thank you everybody who replied to the post . Since the original post , i've come across this photo , which may not answer my question , but makes things a bit clearer .

Looks like the chap on the left has his tunic pocket open but whatever is on the end of his lanyard is in the pocket . The chap in the centre is setting a fuse with a tool with a lanyard hanging down . The chap loading has a setting tool hanging from a lanyard around his neck( i think) .

Not sure if the lanyards on the tools in use are the white braided type but the one in the centre looks like it maybe ? Also the setting tool hanging around the chaps neck looks of a size that may fit into a pocket ? I tried zooming in to get a better look at the lanyard but the picture is of a poor quality .  DD

Gun Crew (2).jpg

4 hours ago, DorsetDan said:

Hello again Forum Folk ,

Firstly thank you everybody who replied to the post . Since the original post , i've come across this photo , which may not answer my question , but makes things a bit clearer .

Looks like the chap on the left has his tunic pocket open but whatever is on the end of his lanyard is in the pocket . The chap in the centre is setting a fuse with a tool with a lanyard hanging down . The chap loading has a setting tool hanging from a lanyard around his neck( i think) .

Not sure if the lanyards on the tools in use are the white braided type but the one in the centre looks like it maybe ? Also the setting tool hanging around the chaps neck looks of a size that may fit into a pocket ? I tried zooming in to get a better look at the lanyard but the picture is of a poor quality .  DD

Gun Crew (2).jpg

Great photo Dan.

There appears to be a circular shape bulge in the tunic pocket of the man on the left. 

44 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Great photo Dan.

There appears to be a circular shape bulge in the tunic pocket of the man on the left. 

Good spot 1967 , you might be right , good to have another pair of eyes on the photo . Yes they look a tough bunch .

Ah! the issue clasp knife.  A blunt stubby blade and a damn big spike.  What that was meant to be in the 80's I never grasped. Not ever having to poke a stone out of an Abbots "hoof"  

A much loved BSM once told me it was to unpick oakum.  A rare pastime on the North German Plain, even then.  

1 hour ago, Gunner Hall said:

Ah! the issue clasp knife.  A blunt stubby blade and a damn big spike.  What that was meant to be in the 80's I never grasped. Not ever having to poke a stone out of an Abbots "hoof"  

A much loved BSM once told me it was to unpick oakum.  A rare pastime on the North German Plain, even then.  

I thought the damn big spike would have been useful to the BSM for hooking out Gunners from the pub at the end of the night :D

The spike failed there too,  Dorset Dan.  We never left the pub until the early hours.   First in, last out.  A proud boast of many regiments.....  

I can’t see these being on a lanyard and put in a pocket, they were more likely to be tethered to the limber, gun or a stake near the shell stack.

Link to IWM Fuze Setting Key No. 53 here

J

18 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

I can’t see these being on a lanyard and put in a pocket, they were more likely to be tethered to the limber, gun or a stake near the shell stack.

Link to IWM Fuze Setting Key No. 53 here

J

Thanks for the link J , that is a big key , wouldn't like that in my pocket !

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

And other examples for the No.82 T&P fuze

818323041_Fuzesettingkeyno80fuze.jpg.c0df83d8cc21908010c6cdf692279d9a.jpg

Thanks again J , i'am finding these keys interesting , didn't know their was so many !  DD

On 18/10/2019 at 14:45, DorsetDan said:

The chap in the centre is setting a fuse with a tool with a lanyard hanging down

Point 1 = I'm not a gunner - so not got an answer

Just asking = DD In your great photo in post #11 - What is the S-shaped item on the other end of the above-mentioned lanyard for?  Another tool I would presume.

Edit: a revisit since two points have occurred in the few minutes since I posted

a) lanyard is not taught so the item is not very heavy/putting it under load

b)  I'm now seeing the nose and ear of a white-throated dog ??  Time for getting some specs???

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

On 16/11/2019 at 16:42, Matlock1418 said:

Point 1 = I'm not a gunner - so not got an answer

Just asking = DD In your great photo in post #11 - What is the S-shaped item on the other end of the above-mentioned lanyard for?  Another tool I would presume.

Edit: a revisit since two points have occurred in the few minutes since I posted

a) lanyard is not taught so the item is not very heavy/putting it under load

b)  I'm now seeing the nose and ear of a white-throated dog ??  Time for getting some specs???

Hey Matlock , sorry for late reply .

As you have seen the Gunners on the fourm are leaning towards clasp knife not fuse key .

Thanks for pointing the dog out , i can see it too , perhaps that's a dog lead not a lanyard ! :D Lead not taught as dog at rest :huh:

I think i might need the glasses , as i can't see the s shaped  item !

Cheers  DD

I can't see a dog.  But I think i can see a small kit or duffel bag,  to which the lanyard is attached.  I have a vague memory of something similar being used to keep all the small gun tools together.     They should have been kept in the leather case on the gunshield near the number 2. (out of shot)  

2 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

But I think i can see a small kit or duffel bag,  to which the lanyard is attached. 

Amazing what different eyes can see with a bit of persuasion - I also now see the 'duffel bag' now (resting on the ground so lanyard is loose) and not an "S"-shaped tool at the bottom of the lanyard.

[The dog was a bit of a ;-)]

Would certainly seem very plausible - tool and bag being kept together, even if perhaps a bit unofficial / out of proper place - perhaps a bit more portable to be kept more easily safely by the gun crew to avoid some other 'half-inching' it.