Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

46th BTTN CEF

Donald Archer

Good Morning 

My Grandfather served in the 46th BTTN CEF from 1916- the end of the war. was wounded at the end of the war and returned to Canada in 1919. I am to research his war years as much as I can. Apparently, he was not a very nice man and had some emotional and physical problems that lead to who he was. I would like to find out if the war was part of that. 

I came upon this forum by complete accident and I am looking forward to mining all the information that I can 

Thank you and regards 

Donald A. Archer

Peterborough ON Canada 

John Archer Sr. Grave.jpeg

Hi Again

I have got the following information already 

• Attestation papers 
  • Some biographical information on the 46th 
  • I did have access to the 46th war diaries but apparently that link is no longer valid 

• Admin

Donald

When you say Attestation papers do you mean just those two pages or the whole of his digitized service file (which will be via a link at the bottom part of the same page)?

David

Hello David 

I have the 2 page version(front and back) dated January 1,1916

Don

• Admin
17 minutes ago, Donald Archer said:

Hello David 

I have the 2 page version(front and back) dated January 1,1916

Don

In that case Don, do you still have the link?

If not is this your man? http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=11888

If so go to the bottom of the page where it says "Digitized service file pdf format" and click on the link, it will give you his full file.

David

HOLY CRAP!!!

Thank you so much David 

Don

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to Admin David Owen. I have spent the last 24 hours pouring over the information that he found for me and I have learned so much about a man who I had never met(that I remember) 

It was an incredible find and cannot thank this forum in general and Mr Owen enough 

Regards 

Donald A. Archer 

Good afternoon/evening to everyone 

i came here yesterday trying to find information about my Grandfather and look for some reason why he was the way he was according to Family legend. Since my parents are no longer alive I had to sort of cull information as much as I could about him from here. Thanks to David Owen I have found out that.

All of this information is news to me 

• He enlisted in Saskatchewan in Jan 1916
  • Went to England with the 128th BTTN an was transferred to the 46th BTTN in Aug 1916
  • France in May 1917
  • Was wounded in the left leg and right ankle at the battle of Hill 70 by Machine Gun fire near LENS France on August 21 1917
  • His Right leg was amputated below the knee and spent the better part of the next 18 moths in hospitals in England. 
  • He was returned to Canada in June of 1918 where he received n artificial leg
  • Discharged unfit for duty in April of 1919
  • Died in Ontario in 1961 at the age of 81 

I suspect but cannot prove that what happened during WW1 pretty much defined who he was for the rest of his life. I think it would me 

Not all the answers but some of them are here. Thank you for the information and thank you for this site 

Regards 

Donald Archer

if you search the war diaries for the 46th Btn  for the date he was wounded, they should provide what actions he was involved in at the time, may not be mentioned by name though        

https://cgwp.uvic.ca/

regards

Bob R.

Edited by robins2

Donald 

I am sure by now you have looked at the 46th Btn war diaries for  1916/8/1 - 1917/9/30 ,hopefully you saw the mention of appendix 7 “Operation against Aconite Trench” which follows the August day by day diaries .

It contains a very detailed account of the whole action,your Grandfather is not mentioned by name (in the bit I read) but it really paints the picture of what it was like ,and it’s typewritten which is always a fantastic bonus!

”Aconite Trench” is a good search term and brings up some good descriptions of the overall action with maps.

Took this photo at Triangle Cemetary in July. After your grandfather was wounded but maybe he knew these chaps?

image.jpeg.f1511432fbbe8fb211b1696d423c20e3.jpeg

58DM

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all of the input and the directions. 

I have been a way for a few days and I have not looked at the war diaries as of yet but I will be shortly. 

Thank you for the photograph I looked at it and just thought "Wow" 

Thank you again everyone