Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

T.61 (Trench Numbering?)

KatieJJones

Hiya Great War Friends

I could potentially do with your help. I have recently gained access to my Uncle's War Diary. In his diary he repeatedly references shelling happening in T 61. I thought it could potentially be a sector of a trench but have been unable to come up with no answers. If this helps he was in the trenches in Humercamp. Any help or hints / opinions would be great! I'm sure we can piece this mystery together for Uncle!

Katie

This 1916 map shows Humbercamp in the bottom left. The main road above that runs diagonally from left to right is from Doullens to Arras. What is the date of your Uncle's diary and what Unit was he in. There will probably be more detailed maps in the Divisional HQ War Diaries.

Brian

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101465107 

12 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Katie

This 1916 map shows Humbercamp in the bottom left. The main road above that runs diagonally from left to right is from Doullens to Arras. What is the date of your Uncle's diary and what Unit was he in. There will probably be more detailed maps in the Divisional HQ War Diaries.

Brian

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101465107 

I have searched as many maps as possible and have found no indication as to what T.61 may be. He was in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps,13th Battalion, D Company.

This is a snip from  larger map contained with the war diary of the General Staff at 37th Division's headquarters. (WO95/2512. Crown Copyright).

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, Chris_Baker said:

This is a snip from  larger map contained with the war diary of the General Staff at 37th Division's headquarters. (WO95/2512. Crown Copyright).

Capture.JPG

Brilliant thank you! I knew someone here would know haha. Thanks very much! You've just made a niece very happy!