Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who can tell me about this Lt Col's uniform?

Aurel Sercu

Hello Uniform Experts,

If there is one thing I know nothing about it is the officers' uniforms ... (In the Belgian Army I was a corporal, but that was 1969-70. Here on the forum I am a Major-Gerneral, but I'l afraid I don't even know what my GWF uniform looks like !  :-(

This photo shows Lieutenant Colonel Alan Bryant. He was Gloucestershire  Regiment, but when he died (17 Oct. 1917, near Pilkem) he was attached (as commanding officer) to the 9th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers (34th Div., 193th Brigade).

My question is not at all essential for my piece of research. (He is the oldest identified casualty inTalana Farm Cem., but I amintrigued by the fact that he died over 3 km from Talana Farm Cemetery (a shell hit the HQs at Stray Farm), and yet he and the 3 other officers were taken to Talana Farm Cemetery.

I know a few things about his military career, but I am puzzled by the uniform he is wearing here.

Who can tell me a few things ? Is this the uniform of a Lt. Col ? What about his cap ? And ... what about the coulour ?

Aurel

Bryant Alan Lt Col -face_578_orig.jpg

I am by no means an expert but the 3 pips on his shoulder all look identical which suggests that at the time the photograph was taken he was a Captain. Lt Col was a pip and a crown.

Thanks, Gardenerbill.

It confirms something I had found on the internet, but was not sure of (as it was not WW1)

And it also tells me someting about when the portrait was taken. (He received his Captaincy in 1900, was Brigade Major 1905-07, and was promoted to Major in 1912.)

Aurel

Edited by Aurel Sercu
posting left unexpectedly, unfinished!

He is a Captain wearing the frock coat that was I think introduced in 1911.  It was the ‘undress’ (working) uniform for routine duties in barracks, such as orderly officer, attendance at courts martial, and for all duties not requiring the officer to parade in formed bodies with his men.  It was worn with a crimson silk waist sash and underneath the coat was a web sword belt, to which was attached a sword by 2 carriage straps in gilt bullion lace that hung outside.
At the same time a white cap cover was introduced for wear with frock coats during the summer months only (this white cap cover was permitted for all ranks of the regimental band also, when in hot weather stations, but not otherwise worn by those below the rank of commissioned officer).  
The frock coat order of dress was specifically introduced to replace the scarlet undress frock (a working jacket), leaving just the same garment in dark blue, which later evolved to become known as ‘blue patrol’ uniform.  The frock coat was no longer a requirement after WW1 and was phased out, except for general officers, to reflect the retrenchment that took place after the war.  The frock coat is still seen on general officers today and members of the Sovereign’s household troops wear a special pattern with a beribboned rather than buttoned front.  Prince Harry chose to wear this undress garment for his wedding, in contrast to his brother who more correctly wore full dress.

F30D3D2E-1C78-4CCB-8FC7-646629292756.jpeg

A057C1E1-B17A-4FAF-8C82-72B981B48FF3.jpeg

A570B4B3-0A32-4BEC-BE26-3270BA5D0035.jpeg

E9CEE08A-A636-4E6C-B944-10F531231652.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Would I be right in thinking he was as an ADC when the photograph was taken given the aiguillette?

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

On 15/10/2019 at 20:16, Terry_Reeves said:

Would I be right in thinking he was as an ADC when the photograph was taken given the aiguillette?

TR

Yes Terry, I forgot to add that wearing an aiguillette indicates that he was an ADC to a general officer at the time of the photo.  From memory there were (still are) I think three grades of aiguillette using gilt wire and coloured silk thread and when ADC/Equerry to a member of the Royal family a cypher is worn on the shoulder straps, in addition to the aiguillette.  The aiguillette is worn on different shoulders, depending upon the rank and function of the wearer.

As an ADC to a general officer on the staff he is wearing a general staff cap badge, but with regimental collar badges.

Enclosed is a colour image of an officer at regimental duty in frock coat summer order.

9848172B-38AE-4D18-B02C-AF5FDEE6DCE9.jpeg

22F883A1-EB7B-4CEE-95B3-1EB69AB823F3.jpeg

8FDC84ED-5DFB-4FD8-A55D-931B4F91C0F9.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Terry and Frogsmile,

I am impressed ! And I feel very humble ...

And : maybe I should have mentioned in my initial posting that the information I have regarding Lt Col. Bryant, and his military footsteps comes from :

https://www.ypres-salient.com/uk--ireland25.html

(Scroll down to 6th person.)

Aurel

2 hours ago, Aurel Sercu said:

Terry and Frogsmile,

I am impressed ! And I feel very humble ...

And : maybe I should have mentioned in my initial posting that the information I have regarding Lt Col. Bryant, and his military footsteps comes from :

https://www.ypres-salient.com/uk--ireland25.html

(Scroll down to 6th person.)

Aurel

That is very interesting Aurel.  There is no mention of his role as ADC, which seems unusual, as it was considered quite a distinguished appointment.  At that time general officers could personally appoint favoured officers (who they knew and rated personally) to the role of ADC in coordination with the overall system of officers career management presided over by the Military Secretary (MS) of the Army.  My guess is that he might have carried out the role either whilst also Brigade Major (a staff appointment now called ‘Chief of Staff’) at Dover (perhaps to the GOC there), or afterwards, for a short time before promotion to Major.

Edited by FROGSMILE