Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weather conditions Somme 26/05/17 ?

Chris Foster

Does anyone have any information as to the weather conditions on the Somme, particularly in the Miraumont  area, for the 26//05/17 ?

Regards

Chris

Edited by Chris Foster

An intriguing question. I'm afraid I cannot add anything as far as an answer goes but just checking, do you mean 26/05/1917 or 2017? 

I'm assuming 1917 but one never knows.

Thank's Michael, Yes its 1917 I'm after.

Thank you JP, the photo in your link is the source of my query! Its by Ernest Brooks and the description reads..

"British troops crossing newly captured territory along a road made of wooden planks, Miraumont, 26 May 1917"

IWM copyright, Photo No Q2217.

Its a painting commission I'm doing, and I want to nail the weather conditions. Obviously its wet under foot, but what was the weather like for the whole day.

It may seem like an odd request, but setting the tone/mood of the painting from the start is important  and I like to get things accurate (retentive disposition)

Regards

Chris

big paint-Q2217.jpg

I have a note of the No 3 GHQ Ammunition Park War diary for Friday the 25th May, 1917 "Aveluy Weather Fine. Briliant sunshine." Saturday 26th May "Aveluy Weather Fine very warm." Again on Sunday the 27th "Aveluy Weather Fine and warm." Monday the 28th "Aveluy Weather Fine and very warm." Tuesday the 29th Aveluy Weather Dull. Wednesday the 30th "Aveluy Weather Dull. Fine later."

Mike

Thanks very much Mike, that's very interesting. It just shows how deceptive B/W photography can be (or the actual date is wrong). Aveluy as the crow flies is just over 5 miles from Miraumont !

Did they note the weather the week before the 25th ?

Chris

Edited by Chris Foster

17/5/1917  Aveluy Weather Fine. 18th Aveluy Weather Warm 19th  Aveluy Weather Fine. 20th Aveluy Weather Fine. 21st Aveluy Weather Fine. Rain later in day.  22nd Aveluy Weather Rain. Fine later. 23rd Aveluy Weather Fair. 24th Aveluy Weather Fresh and fine.

Mike

Well, I've had a good look at the weather charts and the they l fit in with the No 3 GHQ Ammunition Park War diary  reports for the dates mentioned.

Which leads me to think that the date on the original description must be wrong. A lot of the men are wearing capes most are wearing leather jerkins, not the sort of gear to wear on a fine warm day? and the image just as a general damp look to it.

I'd welcome anyone's thoughts on the subject !

Regards

Chris

Remember it did rain on the 21st and 22nd on May 1917. Have attached a screenshot of 26/5/1917 from a very interesting video showing temperatures from Nov 1917-Aug 1917. Click

Mike

temp weather 26 may 1917.PNG

Edited by Skipman

Mike, Thank you once again for your input, a very interesting video, as you say.

I agree  It looks  as though  the date/ dates for when the photo actually lines up better with the 21st or 22nd of May rather than the High pressure front, dragged up from the South 25th/26th of May !

Regards

Chris

I would try find out which units were in the Somme area at that time and check the battalion, brigade and divisional diaries. I commend you for trying your best to be accurate. I will have a look at some diaries later when I get a chance.

Mike

Thank you Mike, I'll try and dig a bit more, and I appreciate you  helping me. I'd be vey interested as to what you come up with !

Regards

Chris

These two entries are from the 1/7th Black Watch diary May 1917. They were at Blangy, about 15 miles north-east but close enough as makes no odds.

Mike

temp weather may 1917 1 Fampoux.PNG

temp weather may 1917 2.PNG

On 15/10/2019 at 17:24, Chris Foster said:

Thank's Michael, Yes its 1917 I'm after.

Thank you JP, the photo in your link is the source of my query! Its by Ernest Brooks and the description reads..

"British troops crossing newly captured territory along a road made of wooden planks, Miraumont, 26 May 1917"

IWM copyright, Photo No Q2217.

Its a painting commission I'm doing, and I want to nail the weather conditions. Obviously its wet under foot, but what was the weather like for the whole day.

It may seem like an odd request, but setting the tone/mood of the painting from the start is important  and I like to get things accurate (retentive disposition)

Regards

Chris

big paint-Q2217.jpg

I really admire this level of accuracy and research. Absolutely brilliant!