Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge

Jane Eisnor

I'm sure I read it's Canadian,  if so it's dead end as no rolls 

Ancestry do have a SWB roll for Canadian officers, ordinary ranks and nurses. Listed under Royal Malta Artillery. Still a bit of a long shot though as I think it's only 1 roll which can only be a fraction of SWBs issued.

TEW

I've had a look at the Canadian part of the roll and it only has pages Can/1 to Can/103 for ordinary ranks. These are Badges C72 to C858.

Incidentally, this is WO329/3255 and TNA does not indicate the various units that make up this roll. Even this list from WO329/1 misses out the Canadian Ordinary Ranks.

TEW

Untitled.jpg.5ef068ea2f2861b1593a896f3e6eff28.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's worth looking at https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/community/2605 and similar communities for Canadian Nurses in WWI . A number of volunteers did their best to identify all 2800 women who served with the C.E.F. and link them to the records held by Library and Archives Canada. 

My personal contributions included a review of https://cgwp.uvic.ca/search.php?rnk=Nursing Sister&col=nam,pob,dob,hsc,dod,doe,rgm,rnk which provides a link to the L.A.C. records. 

There are some paper files relating to the Canada issue silver war badges that are in the archives at Ottawa. I have heard of a researcher named Arnie Kay being hired to do silver war badge research, but I seem to recall he does not do this in the winter months.