Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question on a painting dated 1916 depicting a view of a German prison camp with French soldiers

Hello,
I am writing hoping in your help about the painting you see in the attached pictures.
It should be a view, painted at Christmas 1916, of a German or Austrian prison camp with French soldiers of the Armee de terre in the uniform of 1914: there are the barracks and the fence wall with barbed wire.
The painter was, I suppose, a German soldier and the point of view could be that of a guard tower; it is signed and next to the date there is also an indication of place but I am not able to understand it.
Please, do you have information about this painting? Do you recognize the prison camp?
I thank you for your kind attention and greet you cordially,
Luciano

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

I think it says "H. Buch Wahn 1916"? Wahn was a large French POW camp.

The inclusion of a Xmas tree in the painting

indicates that it was painted in December

Ray

Hello,

many many thanks to AOK4, because you have understood the writing and recognized the important POW camp of Wahn, of which I didn't even know existed.

And thank you also at Ray. But, above all, Egbert, thank you so much because your thread about this camp, with the help of many others, is a real important essay on it, with also so many different pictures of the past and... of the present. Looking at them, as you promised, I have really recognized the camp, the barracks and even the high lamps!

So thank you again for your so fast and exhaustive help.

Best regards,

Luciano