Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Zealand division at Ploegsteert sector August 1917

Wendy Macpherson

The August 1917 Kiwis along the River LYS on the Belgium side and the Germans on the opposite side of the river, anyone know what Bavarian division was fighting the kiwis.  The Germans were hankered down in Deulmont, France and drooping artillery on the Kiwis at Pont-Rouge.

I had a trench-map of the Front Line with all the divisions on either side and cant for the life of me find it.

I will go off and start reading the New Zealand history but may get a faster answer here..!!

Thanks Wendy 

Pont R.jpeg

This is the trouble with living on the other side of the planet, when I am up you guys are in bed and vice-versa. 

Wendy, these are cracking maps, thanks for posting them. Interesting that the first map has Factory Farm appearing when by August 1917 it was just a large hole. Which is still there today.......

Pete.

P.S. At least on your side of the planet it will soon be summer.

1984377310_Point122orFactoryFarmagain.JPG.226b7d6edd5b701ee1f5cfdb60f71bea.JPG

Hi Wendy,

Thinking laterally - London Rifles Cemetery where your tupuna is buried has a row of Germans in Plot IV, they mostly date to the period that the NZD was in the line at Ploegtseert.

Do you have pictures of these graves, as they - if named list the regiments or even battalions of whom they served with?

There is one buried in  Plot II but he was the one killed during the raid on 1/Auckland on 28th Feb 1917

Cheers 

Rodg

2 hours ago, Wendy Macpherson said:

Pete, it looks like they are busy filling in the holes with top soil. 

Wendy, I'm not sure it is top soil; I didn't get close enough to tell and I think I was upwind when the photo was taken.........

Pete.

4 hours ago, jacksdad said:

Hi Wendy,

Thinking laterally - London Rifles Cemetery where your tupuna is buried has a row of Germans in Plot IV, they mostly date to the period that the NZD was in the line at Ploegtseert.

Do you have pictures of these graves, as they - if named list the regiments or even battalions of whom they served with?

There is one buried in  Plot II but he was the one killed during the raid on 1/Auckland on 28th Feb 1917

Cheers 

Rodg

I cant find any headstone photos for the German lads buried in the cemetery. Find a grave don't seem to have any either. 

Hello Wendy, In my notes I have 16 Infanterie Division, which went into the Line on 26 June 1917 and stayed there until about 23 September 1917. A Bataillon of its IR 29 counter-attacked the New Zealanders at La Basse-Ville on 27 July. Frustratingly, I do not have the references to hand.  Your map above is too far to the north and the wrong ANZAC corps, but you knew that (others might not! :)) .  My interest in this area is pragmatically curtailed at 31 July 1917.  I did, however,  have an interesting time reading the German regimental histories for this area for June, when the NZers first tried to take La Basse-Ville.  RIR 94 (22 RID) claimed a major success, though they described the NZ prisoners they brought in as "sturdy, healthy looking fellows, mostly drunk."  Does that help any?

Cheers, Jeff

22 minutes ago, JeffMcN said:

Hello Wendy, In my notes I have 16 Infanterie Division, which went into the Line on 26 June 1917 and stayed there until about 23 September 1917. A Bataillon of its IR 29 counter-attacked the New Zealanders at La Basse-Ville on 27 July. Frustratingly, I do not have the references to hand.  Your map above is too far to the north and the wrong ANZAC corps, but you knew that (others might not! :)) .  My interest in this area is pragmatically curtailed at 31 July 1917.  I did, however,  have an interesting time reading the German regimental histories for this area for June, when the NZers first tried to take La Basse-Ville.  RIR 94 (22 RID) claimed a major success, though they described the NZ prisoners they brought in as "sturdy, healthy looking fellows, mostly drunk."  Does that help any?

Cheers, Jeff

Thanks Jeff that helps a great deal that will give me the start I need.

I released I had the wrong map when I spotted Polygon Wood, there was a few choice words said!

With google search I see I had this conversation back in 2011, my bad for never making a record of it then. 

Will make a note to myself to keep better records. 

Thanks again Jeff I appreciate your help.. Wendy 

Edited by Wendy Macpherson