Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CPO E PARKE, not sure if RN, Lighthouseman or Coastgurde

Sgt Stripes

Hello. Could someone please help with my research into 137912 CPO Edward Parke. I have his service paper which states born East Cowes, Isle of Wight 1870. He  joined the RN in 1886  as boy and enlisted in 1888 for 12 years service. His service paper are strait forward with ships names until March 1898 when it states WEYMOUTH  followed by the following shore posting LULWORTH, as a Boatman, PORTHLEVEN then WESTERN,  RHOSNEIGR, PENDEEN SANDS, ST ANTHONY, LUNDY ISLAND, INCH KEITH and BUDE " there is another shore posting ST --- but I can not make it out" He transferred to the Coastguard in May 1919 and that is the last bit of information on. I would really like to know which service he was in at this time and what kind of duties would he have preformed . He had a son who followed him into the Navy J90185 George Henry Parke who was awarded the War . I have his papers but only to 1928 however he must have served in the Navy as his paper stated he was awarded a LSGC Medal in 1936. Thank you 

Edited by Sgt Stripes

He was RN until 10.3.98 when he became a Boatman with the Coastguard which until after WW1 was under Admiralty control & was primarily to protect the coast. 

Rated Commissioned Boatman 18.3.04 & from 1.4.10 was given RN ratings with [CG] in brackets.

After WW1 it was decided to reform the Coastguard, so the Coastguard [New Force] was formed which Parke joined 1.5.19.

The Board of Trade assumed responsibility for the Coastguard 1.4.23.

ARABIS.

Thanks for the information. George Henry Parke record downloaded.