Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Water Bottle - Help Identify Please

JohnC

Can anyone identify this water bottle and carrier? I can find nothing like it on Karkee Web on in Campaign 1915. Similar examples online are described as anything from pre-WW1 RN to post WW2 St John's Ambulance, so frankly I am confused.

It came as a set, assembled, but shown below dismantled. The bottle is cobalt blue enamel, white enamel internally below the level of the spout. I cannot see any evidence of a string ring at the base of the spout, or any witness mark to one having been removed and retouched. There is no seam at the base. The top has a pronounced upward swelling and is seamed at its join to the body. The seam is tin-can type, not welded. The spout doesn't have parallel sides, there is a very slight taper to facilitate a good seal with the cork.

The cover is jet black felt about 1/8" thick. I'm sure that it's felt, not woven.

The carrier seems to be a black version of the 1903 pattern. The leather has a smooth outer face and the dye hasn't been applied to the inner surfaces. The joins are nicely saddle stictched, except for the suspension loops which are hose riveted.

The strap passes through the steel loops of the carrier and is adjustable by a buckle. The keep is hose riveted on the reverse. The fabric spreader looks more like a twill canvas rather than webbing. Its colour makes me wonder if the whole carrier was originally brown and has been overdyed in black.

I think the cork is original, much shrunken and wormy but with original metal collars at top and bottom. Minus centre bolt and string, which I have removed because those supplied with it were recycled from a bathplug chain!

There are no markings whatsover on any part.

And that's it. I invite opinions or even a firm identification please.

Thanks,

John

IMG_5294.JPG

IMG_5295.JPG

IMG_5296.JPG

IMG_5297.JPG

IMG_5298.JPG

Hi

its an 03 water bottle carrier which was used by St. John’s ambulance, Red Cross etc and will most likely be post war, the felt cover is also correct for the above

Dave