Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified cap badge

lucycutler

Hi Guys,

I came across this nice photograph at a boot fair the other day.  The man I bought it off didn't rcognise the cap or collar badges.  I've been though all of my reference books and neither can I.  I've tried a magnifying glass and it looks a bit like a lion rampant holding a staff with a pennant on top.  Could it be some sort of Cadet training establishment ? 

The uniform looks to me like it is new and also a bit too big for that matter. The only other info that I can give is the photographer's studio details on the card which says: " Alan Spicer Willis St, Wellington"  Any ideas on regiment or other thoughts please ? 

use.jpg

scan0004.jpg

Edited by lucycutler
change of image

New Zealand Rifle Brigade, .

Edited by Steven Broomfield

15 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

New Zealand Rifle Brigade, .

Excellent Steven! Very many thanks.

Edited by lucycutler
Typo, sorry!

They wore the crest of the Earl of Liverpool as their insignia.

C0F5C67C-8316-49B5-BAF5-75BDBAA962E0.jpeg

1A00C9E6-29D1-479D-85BC-F955FF3FB938.jpeg

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

They wore the crest of the Earl of Liverpool as their insignia.

C0F5C67C-8316-49B5-BAF5-75BDBAA962E0.jpeg

1A00C9E6-29D1-479D-85BC-F955FF3FB938.jpeg

Thankyou Frogsmile, I'd translate the motto as Stand fast.

1 minute ago, lucycutler said:

Thankyou Frogsmile, I'd translate the motto as Stand fast.

Yes, that was it.  They had a good reputation and were affectionately regarded (in NZ known as the Dinks apparently).

10 hours ago, pukman said:

The Black Patch indicates he was in 1st battalion NZRB . I would say taken in late 1915,

Cheers Iain

(Unknown warriors of the NZEF Facebook page)

Many thanks Iain.  With the depth of knowledge on this forum, I fully expect someone to come up with his name next !!

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 05:35, pukman said:

The Black Patch indicates he was in 1st battalion NZRB . I would say taken in late 1915

Was the 1st Battalion the only one to use a coloured patch like that behind the cap badge, or were other battalions similarly designated but by different colours, etc? I ask as I am just wondering if the effect of orthochromatic film has been taken into account, eg:

Orthochromatic medal ribbon comparison picture.jpg

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 03:53, lucycutler said:

Many thanks Iain.  With the depth of knowledge on this forum, I fully expect someone to come up with his name next !!

I could try, my Face book page aimed at naming unidentified New Zealand WW1 soldiers . Cheers Iain/ Unknown warriors of the NZEF

6 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

Was the 1st Battalion the only one to use a coloured patch like that behind the cap badge, or were other battalions similarly designated but by different colours, etc? I ask as I am just wondering if the effect of orthochromatic film has been taken into account, eg:

All the New Zealand Rifle Brigade patches were black , also seen being worn on the upper sleeve of tunics later in the war.

Orthochromatic medal ribbon comparison picture.jpg

nzrb patches.jpg

Edited by pukman

They were called the 'fair dinkums' later shortened to 'Dinks'.

They got the name by the old Gallipoli men, when the NZ Rifle Brigade was formed in 1916. 

They turned up with new issued uniforms and gear and the Gallipoli vets nicknamed them - tongue in cheek - as 'fair dinkum solders'  (genuine solders), the Rifles proved themselves at Armentieres  and later on the Somme and the nickname was shortened to The Dinks and a term of respect.

Thank you Guys, Very impressed as always with the knowledge here on the Forum.  :thumbsup:

Serendipity indeed: long story, but I saw a pie of Military Historical Society Bulletins yesterday, 1960's and 70's vintage. One had an article on the NZRB so I took the trouble to make notes.

Each of the four Battalions of the Brigade wore the black patch as follows:

1st Bn: 1.5" square, diamondwise

2nd Bn: same, horizontal

3rd Bn: Equilateral triangle, apex uppermost

4th Bn: same, base uppermost.

Bde HQ also wore a black patch - 8-pointed star.

Initially these were worn on the hat (lemon squeezer presumable),, behind the badge and on both sides. Latterly (post May-1916) they moved to the top of the sleeves.

Nicely agrees with Pukman's notes.

If you'd like a copy of the article, PM me an email address

Edited by Steven Broomfield