Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KOYLI Patterson or Paterson

toofatfortakeoff

Probably not definitely a KOYLI? WO 2nd class? family name Patterson or Paterson with links to Great Yarmouth and fishing.  Medal ribbons Croix de Guerre and MM? Photo taken in Holmfirth

The family know nothing else except he probably made it through the war. Worth a try for those more in the know-many thanks more info as it comes. It look like not many MICs made it through the blitz for KOYLI  Noted the riding breeches and crop-would have thought a commission would follow the rank and medals. Many thanks 

wo1.jpg

Edited by toofatfortakeoff

Hi toofatfortakeoff

I can't find any Paterson / Patterson / Pattinson serving with any LI unit with a CdG. I have a James Patterson 2666 A / Sjt Maj 1 / 7 HLI with a Medaille Militaire, all the others so named are either officers when gazetted or units other than LI.

I can't make out the ribbon from the photo, are you sure it is CdG??

Peter

Good morning Peter not 1000% I’d deffo leave that to the experts. Someone mentioned MM but I don’t Think it is personally. 

I’m leaning a little toward MM now looked to be four white bars put squinting perhaps is only 3 

Query Archibald George Patterson Temp Sgt Major in 1915 offered commission at this time so possibly pre-War medals-not as stated based on this chap being a Sgt Acting CSM in 1915. 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4549510

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29393/page/12194/data.pdf 

My first thought on the left hand medal ribbon was MM but a bit tricky when looking at the image on a phone. Can’t tell what the second one is.

Simon

Edited by mancpal

Ancestry & Fold 3 military records show/confirm for Lt Archibald Partterson KOYLI (formerly no 10171)

Lt Archibald George Patterson KOYI

formerly Serjeant (acting Company Serjeant Major) KOYLI 10171

Commissioned 6th November 1915 to 6th Bn KOYLI after 5 years and 363 days in the ranks

qualified for 1914 Star 14th August 1914 & shown as Serjeant (acting CSM) 10171 on the 1914 Roll

Silver War Badge List 5th May 1919 as Lt.  Certificate number 13143516 with comment "IV 885"

Home address on MIC & SWB list:       82 Salcott Road, Clapham Junction, London SW11

Army list for 1918 show his dob as 8th March 1892.

London electoral roll for 1920-1924 gives Alexander & Harriet Patterson at 82 Salcott Road, Battersea Ward.

1911 Census: this couple in Battersea & Alexander is a GPO assistant inspector.  3 of their 7 surviving children are with them, but not Archibald.

1901 Census:  Archibald with his parents & born in Carlisle, Cumberland 1893/4

In 1922 Alexandra Patterson, age 34 & of 82 Salcott Road, daughter of Alexander Patterson, an Inspector of Messengers, marries Gaston Ashby at St Michaels, Battersea.

This is Archibald's photo from a family tree on ancestry, and he could have married Fannie Cahill in Dublin 1917, with one issue Francis G Patterson, born Essex 1926. Looks like Fannie & Francis are on the 1939 register at New Haw, Surrey, but without Archibald. I think the badges in the photo are Queens Royal Regiment (West Surrey) & he is wearing maybe his WW1 trio ribbons. Army Lists for WW2 show a Lt AG Patterson retired Indian Army Officer re-employed with the Queens (West Surreys).

1446795826_ScreenShot2019-10-12at20_01_51.png.14ce4a41bfbdbe095318f9991a95f415.png

Terribly sorry I thought Id given a reply this is of course invaluable and my gratitude to all who have contributed-I cant see the same ribbon set on this chap although allowance for a bit of haze and also not all his general war medals at all either by looks. However it does look like him! Focus of eyes, bridge of nose shape of ears lips with a few years added-great find.