Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clues from regimental number?

daggers

I have seen a medal index card for 'J.R. Brandon Thomas' which has a regimental number: 245223, but no rank, RGA.  It is noted with a date of commission, 4/8/18 .

No medal issues are noted.  The London Gazette has an entry for his commission as 2nd Lieutenant, RGA, Special Reserve, with same effective date, from OCTU.

Can his number give any clues about his prior service?

His full names are Jevan Roderick Brandon Thomas (the surnames sometimes hyphenated). In April 1918 he was in a long list of recipients of the Belgian CdeG.

[His elder brother, James GB-T died of wounds in November 1914, in 2.R. Innisk. Fus.]

Daggers

Edited by daggers

Don't know if you've picked it up but Jevans was born 1899 and is the son of Brandon Thomas, author and actor....who was the writer of 'Charley's Aunt'....from the British Newspaper Archive 

Screenshot_20191011-134955.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

Daggers

This London Gazette

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBOR%2FLON%2FVOL20%2F0326&parentid=GBOR%2FLON%2FVOL20%2F0326

4th Aug. 1917.

would appear to have him promoted earlier than 1918!

Unless I've misunderstood your original posting

George

Also a record of him suffering from gas poisoning. Doesn't help identify previous regiment though...

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record/browse?id=s2%2fgbm%2fmh106%2fmh106-1693%2f0013

not sure if this will either

First Name:
J.R.
Surname:
Brandon-Thomas
Nationality:
British
2nd Lieutenant
Service:
British Army
Battalion:
Special Reserve. Supplementary Officers. (Why is this important?)
Seniority Date:
04-Aug-17

FWR

George

Edited by George Rayner

Medal card says "Prom 4/8/17" written down the side of it.

There is a 1914 record on Forces Records for 245223 RGA J.R.Brandon Thomas.

He was on the debating society of Westminster College http://firstworldwar.westminster.org.uk/?p=588

Dave

245220 and 245224 and 245213 all have similar RGA medal cards, later commissioned and no medal entries on those cards.  The heading to the LG list says they are all from Officer Cadet Units.

Max

Popped out for a haircut and now find this wealth of detail.  My thanks to all for your interest.

The Westminster College reference is for the elder brother James. Jevan was not educated there.

I will have a look at Forces War Records for the 1914 record.*

Gas poisoning surely must have happened in a war zone, so why no medals recorded, or not so far traced?

date of commission: my error, you are right with 1917, not 1918 as I posted.

ADDED:

Always reluctant to pay more than needed, I took a look at the MIC on the National Archives, only to find that it was the same one as found via Ancestry, containing  only name, corps (RGA), Regt. number, date of commission(4/8/17) and a EF number.  No medals issued, no rank, no theatre of war.

*I shall not enter FWR unless I have a better reason, at their price!

LATER AGAIN

Later posts show up my error in referring to Westminster in this post.  I had meant to put 'Winchester' and apologise for confusion (again).

D

Edited by daggers

Thanks.  I do know that Jevan B-T was not at Winchester as they have confirmed that.  Still looking for clues on that.  I have been helped by rflory many times!

Living at home, according to the 1911 Census, so not a boarder.

30 Redcliffe Gardens, South Kensington, (courtesy of ancestry):

1911.jpg.a26c7a6106335c9c8e5fe4ce2975c6ec.jpg

JP

Obituary in Sept 1977 in the Stage, says he served from 1917

Dave

The Stage

MORE PLAY REVIEWS: OBITUARY

... died last weekend aged 49 He had been ill for some time Actor, dramatist and director JEVAN BRANDON-THOMAS, died last week He was 79 The second son of Brandon Thomas, author of Charley s Aunt. he was born in London in 1898 and served in the Army from 1917 ...

Published: Thursday 29 September 1977
Newspaper: The Stage

18 hours ago, davidbohl said:

There is a 1914 record on Forces Records for 245223 RGA J.R.Brandon Thomas.

He was on the debating society of Westminster College http://firstworldwar.westminster.org.uk/?p=588

16 hours ago, daggers said:

The Westminster College reference is for the elder brother James. Jevan was not educated there.

Westminster School - Jevan Brandon-Thomas. Letters in The Elizabethan, 1942. (Westminster School was evacuated to Herefordshire in 1939).

1. Page 184:

873775480_page184.jpg.419f613bb18712cc63f8670bf152b575.jpg

https://elizabethan.westminster.org.uk/Filename.ashx?tableName=ta_elizabethan&columnName=filename&recordId=551

2.  Page 206:

329340977_page206.jpg.fba4b80a7e166f109f3a9411762ac73b.jpg

https://elizabethan.westminster.org.uk/Filename.ashx?tableName=ta_elizabethan&columnName=filename&recordId=552

JP

Edited by helpjpl

I followed the suggestion that rflory of this forum might help.  He has, and ihis information has resolved most of the problems which this thread helped to untangle, as follows:

Lieut. Jevan Roderick Brandon Thomas

Born 11 July 1898, the son of Brandon Thomas of Gordon,Bloomsbury

Educated at Westminster School from 26 Sep 12 to Apr 1917 (Captain of School in 1916)

Commissioned 2nd Lieut. RGA on 4 Aug 17

Joined 230 Siege Battery, RGA at Bellewarde on 27 Sep 17

At Bellewarde on 26 Oct 17 "the battery opened fire from forward position gun neutralizing for attack on Parchendaele. The team for No. 3 gun ordered for 6:30 but did not come till 8am. After one or two false starts they got the gun on the move and under Lt Brandon Thomas assisted by 2Lt Reynolds of 1/1 West Riding Battery got the gun to the forward position."

On 30 Oct 17 on the Bailleul Road "at 8:30pm Lt Worthing and Lt Brandon Thomas with right and left sections manned the Sugar Factory guns."

At the Sugar Factory on 5 Dec 17 "the line to the forward position cut and repaired by Lt.. Brandon Thomas and signalers."

On 8 Dec 17 at the Sugar Factor Lieuts. Greaner, Faulkener, Squire and Brandon Thomas were casualties.

Decorated with the Belgian Croix de Guerre in the London Gazette of 15 April 1918

Demobilized in February 1919

An actor and playwright

Author of Passing Brompton Road and other plays.

Commissioned 2nd Lieut, RA on 31 De 1940 and advanced to Captain

Sources:

War Diary of No. 230 Siege Battery RGA from January 1917 to January 1918

The Record of Old Westminsters, Vol. II, 1928

The Record of Old Westminsters, Vol. III, 1964

Honor the Recipients of Foreign Awards, Michael Maton

The absence of medal awards on his MIC is no doubt because officers had to apply for WW1 medals, and he did not.

My thanks to rfloryfor this comprehensive account, and to all others who contributed.

Daggers

Edited by daggers