Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified graves

2li

Hi

Whilst I was over in France and Belgium I noticed a lot of graves in cemeteries with just a K.S.L.I. cap badge and a unknown soldier to the Shropshire L.I.,

This as intrigued me for many years, So I contacted the C.W.WG. and asked how many graves there are in France and Belgium with this type of memorial

they have just replied 

261 unidentified King's Shropshire Light Infantry graves in our cemeteries in France and Belgium.

any one else thought about this?.

PHILIP

Messines cemetery K.S.L.I..JPG

Well there was a thread (? last year) about the total number of dead, the numbers of identified burials, the numbers of those without a known grave and the number of graves of unidentified soldiers. 

I can't remember what the figures for each category were.

I did some maths back in 2012 but alas the figures are on my PC, and I realise that over the last seven years many more have been added, there is a large number still missing ie. no ‘Unknown’ grave, most of these were probably pink mist, the figures however does not include those that are unknown but identifiable by regiment as these are recorded as Unknown’s , I’ll have a look later

J

Some quick updated figures show 832100 UK casualties, 325462 of these are remembered on Memorials to the Missing, 506674 known burials (this figure includes those recorded on Special Memorials within cemeteries), 187861 unknown burials (this is still a 2012 figure, a 2016 figure reveals 160578 on the Western Front alone 112711 France and 47867 Belgium), a staggering 137565 are still missing, most simply disappeared, also note that these figures include those lost at sea. It will be interesting to know how many of the unknown burials are part identified by rank or regiment

J

Edited by jay dubaya

48 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Some quick updated figures show 832100 UK casualties, 325462 of these are remembered on Memorials to the Missing, 506674 known burials (this figure includes those recorded on Special Memorials within cemeteries), 187861 unknown burials (this is still a 2012 figure, a 2016 figure reveals 160578 on the Western Front alone 112711 France and 47867 Belgium), a staggering 137565 are still missing, most simply disappeared, also note that these figures include those lost at sea. It will be interesting to know how many of the unknown burials are part identified by rank or regiment

J

a staggering 137565 are still missing, most simply disappeared

That is a staggering number. 

J. a most interesting list of numbers of missing I will look more into the figures of the Shropshire loses

thank you

PHILIP