Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help With Photograph Please

derekb

Good Afternoon,

I have just come across the attached photograph, which is in really poor shape, it has been suggested that the man at the top rights name is Thomas Taylor during World War 1, unfortunately in my family there have been several men named Thomas Taylor .

Does anyone have any ideas what period the uniforms might suggest, I would like to improve on the quality but I haven't got a clue where to start.

Regards,

Derekb

Thomas Herbert Taylor on Right 002.jpg

Sorry the chap top right is impossible to help with.

The chap bottom left is I think from Manchester Regiment. As to period I would say its a  First War group.

I agree with Rob’s ID of the Manchester Regiment during WW1 and, although extremely distorted, I think that I can make out the vague shape of the same cap badge on the man rear left, which seems to be backed up on the balance of probabilities by the curved shoulder title that he wears.  It seems to me that there’s a good chance of all three soldiers being with the same regiment. Close pals were often photographed together and so too family groups.

0A052D93-B262-43A9-BC68-86CCCB025EC3.jpeg

8F26A54A-7EEE-40AA-9E1F-8EA2675E50DF.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Could it be a family group?

If so is there any idea of the other family member's names and do you have any DOBs that could suggest a Thomas who could have served in ww1?

Have you tried any Absent Voters Lists for the area?

David

Than you everyone, David I’m afraid that I don’t have anymore info other than hearsay that one was a Thomas Taylor who served in the Royal Engineers for 54 days only, which does appear to be incorrect.

D

I agree with the Manchesters cap badge but more strongly agree with Davids suggestion of it being a family photo. The resemblance in my mind is that 3 out of 4 have very similar mouths/teeth, top left may be the youngest but unhelpfully isn't smiling so difficult to compare.

In relation to the curved shoulder title, I can't be sure what it is but it isn't an original Manchestrer Pals one though that doesn't mean he wasn't, my grandads last photo in uniform shows the curved title, his first shows the Pals 'eyeball' shaped one.

Does the sailors uniform provide any clues?

Simon