Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

derekb

Help With Grandfathers Record Please

derekb

Hello Everyone,

The Service Record for my Grandfather, Walter Bird 17370, 1st Battalion, Royal Munster Fusiliers hasn't survived.

He died of wounds on 30 September 1918, I have just found out that he was wounded (report date 08/07/2018) and was entitled to wear a Wound Stripe, is there anyway that I can find further details, the Archive Reference is NLS 1918_Wlist50?

I would be extremely grateful for any help or advice.

Regards,

DerekB

DavidOwen

Hi Derek

FMP suggests his number was 18370? Sadly it doesn't have any further information to help with your query though.

Good luck with the research

David

MaxD

The register of soldier's effects has "in action" which usually means what it says whereas "died of wounds" tended to be used for those who succumbed sometime after being wounded.  If he wore a wound stripe it suggests that he survived the wounding reported in July 1918.  Thus it is a problem to know where to look for possible clues in the war diary.  I see that it is Soldiers who died in the Great War that has "died of wounds". 

There were a number of men killed on 30 Sep as the battalion crossed the St Quentin canal in the area of Proville, could he perhaps have been among these?

Max

Edited by MaxD
see next post

derekb
51 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Hi Derek

FMP suggests his number was 18370? Sadly it doesn't have any further information to help with your query though.

Good luck with the research

David

Thanks David, 18370 is correct - a typo on my part.

derekb
8 minutes ago, MaxD said:

The register of soldier's effects has "in action" which usually means what it says whereas "died of wounds" tended to be used for those who succumbed sometime after being wounded.  If he wore a wound stripe it suggests that he survived the wounding reported in July 1918.  Thus it is a problem to know where to look for possible clues in the war diary.  What do you have that says he died of wounds? 

There were a number of men killed on 30 Sep as the battalion crossed the St Quentin canal in the area of Proville, could he perhaps have been among these?

Max

Hi Max,

Commonwealth War graves states he "Died" and I have a copy of his Death Certificate which states that, he Died of Wounds on 30/09/2018 at the 38th Casualty Clearing Station, France.

He is buried in Sunken Road Cemetery, Boisleux St Marc, Pas De Calais France.

Regards,

Derek.

Edited by derekb
Additional information

david murdoch

His MIC shows he was in The Kings (Liverpool) Reg. Private 56690, Royal Dublin Fusiliers Private 40665 then Royal Munster Fusiliers Private 18370.

He's listed on the Irish Casualties WW1 and noted born in Liverpool. His soldiers effects entry notes 1st Battalion RMF (as does his CWGC record) and died of wounds. Can look in the newspaper archives and see if he appears in an earlier casualty list under these three numbers. He may have been transferred after being out wounded.

derekb

David,

Thank you very much.

Derek.

MaxD

I was just about to write:

Looking at the relative positions of the cemetery and the action on 30 Sep, and noting that the cemetery was used by a number of casuaty clearing stations, it would seem that perhaps he had been  wounded some time before 30 Sep.  Knowing where he died helps!  38 CCS was there!.

That makes it a tad difficult to know exactly when and hence where he was wounded, but the CCS did not set up there until September so the time frame is cut down a bit!

You might like to trawl through the 1 RMF war diary looking for possibilities.

WO 95/2985/1

Ancestry here:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_2985_1-00000?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=43112_2985_1-00000

Max

Edited by MaxD

MaxD

Judging from the list of officer casualties, the major losses were on 2 Sep and 27-30 Sep.

Max

MaxD

Further - the brigade attack on 2 Sep 1918 resulted in the following casualties in 1 RMF:

3 officers and 8 ORs killed, 3 and 78 wounded and 44 ORs missing (source brigade diary).  This appears to have been the only major action in September until 27-30th.  The action took place in the area of Fontaine-Croisilles, about 5 mile to the east of the present cemetery and the erstwhile CCS.

Max

petwes

His pension index card (from Fold3 via WFA login) confirms what you know already i.e. date of death and notes he was wounded in action. It also records the name of his widow and her address  and their children but I guess you know this as well.

Peter

derekb

My thanks to everyone for your help.

Derekb