Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Fishnlure

Lt. Ernest Percy Crossen scrapbook

Fishnlure

I was at a flea market in Richmond, Va about a year ago and acquired a scrapbook that belonged to a Lt. Ernest Percy Crossen. It contains items from 1911 up to 1941 and many of them are from his time in the RAF during the Great War. I am trying to find the right place for this scrapbook. I want to find an organization or museum to donate it to that can preserve it. Some of the items are starting to deteriorate. I would appreciate any suggestions. 

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

Edited by Fishnlure
I have added Images

MaxD

Welcome Fishlure - quite a find.

My first thought would be the family rather than an institution although that is easier said than done.  As well as his RAF record on Findmypast, there is a record which is surely him of him becoming a US citizen in 1942 in Chicago (Illinois Northern District Naturalization Index - transcription only seen).  That may explain the stuff being found in the USA.

Max

Edited by MaxD

voltaire60

Royal Air Force Museum, Hendon. Seems absolutely spot on for them.

(or-anywhere on the planet except Imperial War Museum)

helpjpl

Not what you asked for but may be of interest.

1.  Crossen survived a number of flying accidents:

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/rfc/files/names_combined_C.txt

2.  Lieut W E Durant is Wilfrid Ellis Durant of 29 Squadron. Shot down and killed in aerial combat on 2 July 1918 while flying an S.E.5a Scout in the vicinity of St Omer:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/20030/durant,-wilfrid-ellis/

JP

Edited by helpjpl
typo

Errol Martyn

Fishnlure,

Thanks for posting. An interesting collection.

Errol

Alan Bentley
16 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Royal Air Force Museum, Hendon. Seems absolutely spot on for them.

(or-anywhere on the planet except Imperial War Museum)

What is wrong with the IWM?

Errol Martyn
53 minutes ago, Alan Bentley said:

Speaking as one from New Zealand who tried, unsuccessfully, to check out the purchase of a photograph from the IWM some time ago, I can say that the institution seems still locked into the 20th Century way of doing business. Perhaps they should employ a Kiwi to run the place and up its game!

Errol

voltaire60
5 hours ago, Alan Bentley said:

Just have a look at a number of other threads on this Forum in the past 3 years- in particular the disposal of chunks of it's book stocks and the removal of much of it's printed materials to  Duxford- and the need for a week's notice to get at it.

IWM is a  is an administrative brontosaurus with a comet heading straight for it. It cannot reconcile the "theme-park" bums-on-seats methods of  running  a national treasure  with it's older responsibilities towards archives and their use- the 2 ends are irreconcilable.  That said, the Poor Bloody Infantry staff at Library and Archives are excellent but clearly they are just wage-serfs of an increasingly uncaring management.

In my day job as an antiquarian bookseller, I have often been asked  about placing of books and manuscripts and have been actively involved in  averting threats similar to the ones now facing IWM (eg The Fawcett Library and the library of the Royal Commonwealth Society). I could not ever  with a good heart recommend IWM for placement as it is clear to me that further cutbacks and relegation of access to archive materials are on the cards.

I have suggested Hendon in good faith- They are well-organised, the materials are  perfectly placed for their existing collections and the Museum is a bit more savvy about  getting things done-  As it is a single-service museum, it has a large number of good-intentioned  ex-RAF types taking an active interest in it to ensure that  the woeful state of affairs at IWM will not happen at Hendon.

Nuff said

Alan Bentley

Thank you so much for that well informed, and informative reply.

I will bear it in mind.