Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W Smith

Jools mckenna

One of these chaps is Mr W Smith, address was 22 Stennhall Lane, Peckham,London SE15.

Held at Giessen 

Any info or help finding him on the ICRC would be greatly appreciated.

W Smith, 22 Stennhall Lane, Peckham,London SE15 (3).jpg

He was William Smith of 22 Sternhall Lane, Peckham, b. 13/12/1893, Still there in 1939, a street trader.

On the 1911 census, he was at 90 Rolls Road, Bermondsey with parents. (according to a family tree)

Must be one of the front two...

Edited by IPT

1 minute ago, IPT said:

Thanks IPT, that would make him around about 25 when the photo was likely taken(1918). That probably narrows it down to the 2 men sitting.

Just now, IPT said:

Either the good looking chap or...

I wouldn't be too harsh on the other chap, looks like he has had a bad week... (gotten into a fight maybe?)

Is the seated non-accodian playing young man, as well as the chap behind him, wearing some kind of arm band ???

Just now, bif said:

Is the seated non-accodian playing young man, as well as the chap behind him, wearing some kind of arm band ???

Yep, a lot of pictures from Giessen that were kept by Samuel Doidge, had those arm bands on.

Any idea what they are/were ?

1 minute ago, bif said:

Any idea what they are/were ?

Giessen POW camp, likely taken 1918.

We're suggesting these are English POW's then ???  Any writting on the back ?

Just now, bif said:

We're suggesting these are English POW's then ???  Any writting on the back ?

Yes, they are British Pows. The writing on the back is the name "W Smith" and the address, "22 Stennhall Lane, Peckham,London SE15".

Gentleman with the accordion looks like my cousin from Iowa did 40 years ago.

In Post 8, I  meant did you have an idea of the what and why of the arm bands ???

Edited by bif

3 minutes ago, bif said:

In Post 8, I  meant did you have an idea of the what and why of the arm bands ???

Mourning bands is my only real idea.

Jools,   I did a google search for "POW uniform arm bands at Giessen in WW1".  Several articles but it appears the arm bands denoted what work the man was assigned to do on apparently a permanent basis ?  try this link:  herbert-davies-ww1.co.uk/  Well, I thought I could link it.  The article talks of and shows an arm band.  Look at the seated mans arm band again and see if YOU think there's any writing on it ???

Edited by bif

Thanks Bif

A William Smith living at 90 Rolls Road was 3634 William Smith 21st London Regiment KIA 15/9/16. Service papers exist. 

Electoral registers show a William Smith at 70 Rolls Road post war.

Edited by Mark1959

Apologies, Jools.

The family tree that I found, although it had nothing military on it, seems to have had the wrong man on the 1911 census at 90 Rolls Road. In fact it was 3634 William Smith, 21st County of London Regiment, enlisted 25/4/1915, went to France 2/1/1916. KIlled 15/9/1916 ad commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

What was correct is that William Smith, born 13/12/1893 was living at 22 Sternhall Lane, Peckham, on the 1939 register.

3 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

Thanks Bif

Maybe one of the uniform wonks/experts like Frogsmile will have some info ??? This has my curiosity turned up.

Also on the 1939 register at 22 Sternhall Lane are Catherine Smith, single, born 15/2/1892 (may not be related) and Kathleen(?) Smith, single, born 28/4/1915 and three redacted.  William is a widow.

Edited by IPT

Looking at electoral register for the Sternhall address. Records for Smith from 1927 on. There seems to be a Hannah there until at least 1936. May be the spouse who died. 

The uniforms are POW uniforms - the "armbands" aren't really that, but strips of brown cloth inset into the uniforms to help them be more distinctive, eg:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30093165

000000.jpg?_gl=1*lskvk0*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE1NzA2MDk1NDAuQ2owS0NRandpdmJzQlJEc0FSSXNBRHlJU0o5THRYS3c3MzZoMjRhbG1LWDhqcUI5Qkg0NmF6dl94YkVwbl9RN3NEWjMzc1dsSWJ0WDdwOGFBbnVkRUFMd193Y0I.&_ga=2.203176786.2133081084.1570609539-1654004830.1450025032&_gac=1.95343726.1570609540.Cj0KCQjwivbsBRDsARIsADyISJ9LtXKw736h24almKX8jqB9BH46azv_xbEpn_Q7sDZ33sWlIbtX7p8aAnudEALw_wcB

I havent had time to check the census yet, but might this chap be a possibility ?

From a list of repatriated POW's... apparently Sternhall Lane is in Peckham Rye.

Screenshot_20191009-100840.jpg

Screenshot_20191009-101128.jpg

Edit....The Smith's were not at 22 Sternhall Lane in 1911....a family called Kemp were there at that time.

Edited by sadbrewer

3 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

I havent had time to check the census yet,

1911 census 24b Peckham Rye shows this William aged 15 so born 1896. So not him.

Edited by charlie962

If we look at pre-war electoral registers we find William Smith's at 2 and 23 Sternhall Lane. One return indicates 22 and 23 may have been in the same building as it say "ground floor" after 22. Now William 1893 would have been too young to be in the registers of 1905-7 so is either William his father?  Possible 

Edited by Mark1959