Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Found yesterday at Aubers guess part of water pipe ?

arantxa

This is a fitting from a canvas hose for water, such as a fire hose. It could be agricultural or war time military, without assessing the markings its impossible to tell. Old fire hoses were often used by farmers for agricultural purposes. Huge numbers of fire hoses were used in the trenches for the management of both potable and waste water.

In the UK since WW2, the UK fire services have gone to a universal quick release hose fitting called "British Instantaneous Coupling"  (BIC) around the world a variety of other quick connect couplings have become popular such as Stortz hermaphrodite.  

Prior to 1945 a huge variety of threaded fittings were used around the world, quite literally hundreds. This makes it difficult to identify the source of a fitting. If someone recognizes the diameter, thread pitch and thread profile that may give a good identification, however a lot of the people who have worked with lots of threaded hose fittings are now retired.

Fire hoses in the mid c19 tended to be riveted leather. In the late c19 woven canvas hoses were introduced. A little later (still pre-WW1), rubber lined canvas hoses were introduced. Straight canvas and lined hoses continued through and are still in use today. More advanced synthetic fibre in plastic matrix hoses were introduced in the 1970s (eg Angus Armor) and became the dominant technology in the 1990s. The big issue was overcoming the problem of canvas hoses rotting if rolled and stored while still wet. 

So that the fitting above shows remnant of the canvas hose body and the wire binding to fix the hose to the fitting, gives minimal indication of date.

Cheers

Ross

Thanks.  That was really interesting what you wrote

20 hours ago, Chasemuseum said:

This is a fitting from a canvas hose for water, such as a fire hose. It could be agricultural or war time military, without assessing the markings its impossible to tell. Old fire hoses were often used by farmers for agricultural purposes. Huge numbers of fire hoses were used in the trenches for the management of both potable and waste water.

In the UK since WW2, the UK fire services have gone to a universal quick release hose fitting called "British Instantaneous Coupling"  (BIC) around the world a variety of other quick connect couplings have become popular such as Stortz hermaphrodite.  

Prior to 1945 a huge variety of threaded fittings were used around the world, quite literally hundreds. This makes it difficult to identify the source of a fitting. If someone recognizes the diameter, thread pitch and thread profile that may give a good identification, however a lot of the people who have worked with lots of threaded hose fittings are now retired.

Fire hoses in the mid c19 tended to be riveted leather. In the late c19 woven canvas hoses were introduced. A little later (still pre-WW1), rubber lined canvas hoses were introduced. Straight canvas and lined hoses continued through and are still in use today. More advanced synthetic fibre in plastic matrix hoses were introduced in the 1970s (eg Angus Armor) and became the dominant technology in the 1990s. The big issue was overcoming the problem of canvas hoses rotting if rolled and stored while still wet. 

So that the fitting above shows remnant of the canvas hose body and the wire binding to fix the hose to the fitting, gives minimal indication of date.

Cheers

Ross

Canxas Hose in the Fire Service was never stored rolled up wet. after every fire in which the old canvas hose were used, they were tested marked where repairs were needed then hung in the Hose/Drill tower, the Plasti Dry Hoses were sods to repair, even with special patch carriers, glues, and stenorising, the repairs didn't always work. I had to dismantle the variable nozzles after one big fire, when we had to revert to the old nozzles, the variable nozzles were jammed with patches, from Plasti hoses. our bosses didn't like them.

Canvas hoses rot if rolled and stored wet. Drying them in a heated tower is the solution, the problem is that they often do not get properly dry and over the years I have seen hundreds of canvas hoses falling apart from rot. The plastic hoses have a lot of advantages but are generally less durable and have always been an absolute horror with repair patches. Over the last 20 years I have seen a lot more of the plastics, but before I retired I was still seeing plenty of canvas both lined and unlined.

My point was that the canvas both lined and unlined is still being manufactured and still being widely used, so a hose fitting with remnants of canvas and the binding is extremely difficult to date.

Thank you I’ve learnt something new